Electronics Shut Down

bobdevlin

Reaction score
When I turn off the engine, a 250 HP Yamaha, and go to restart it my Furano GPS unit turns off. I believe this is because of the heavy current draw to start the engine. What can be done to avoid this problem?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's a very common problem with many fish finders. Some are very sensitive to voltage drops.

The solution is to wire the fishfinder to the #2 battery and use #1 for starting. If you have an F250, you should purchase a Yamaha battery isolator/charger lead for about $70. This plugs into your engine's charging circuit and connects to the + terminal of your #2 battery. This will keep the #2 battery charged even when the battery switch is in the #1 position. In the event that the #1 battery runs down, you can switch to the #2 battery for starting. Otherwise, #2 is isolated from the starting system and no voltage drop will occur at the fishfinder when you start your engine.

seasick

Reaction score
You may also want to check all wiring connections for good contact especially if this problem is new and didn't occur in the past. Pay paprticular attention to the large battery connections and all ground connections.

striped bass

Reaction score
Seasick may have the answer. Re check you battery cable connections for a tight grip on the battery posts. I had the same problem and tightened the cable connection to the battery posts and presto change-o problem solved and never came back.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How old are the batteries? If it just started happening, it could be a sign the batteries are starting to get a bit tired.