Engine Alarm

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We have 2003 Mercury Optimax 135, it is the Saltwater Series V6. When running at the first click forward the motor runs fine, it will drift. When I go headway speed, which we have to for about a mile from the launch I get a solid beep. I am sure this is the overheat alarm. If I go back to the first click or go up to 4000 rpm's the alarm goes off and all is fine. The motor is spitting water, has plenty of oil. I am wondering if I will need a new impeller or themostat. Any help would be great.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Yamaha was recently doing the same thing. I replaced the impeller and thermostats and all is well. I would probably say your impeller needs to be replaced then if it still does it, do the thermostats.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Find a repuatible dealer and see what the computer says. It does sound like a cooling problem, but why throw parts at it blindly when the computer will tell you why the alarm is going off?

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My local place is a Yamaha dealer but he said he has a computer he can use. I never would have thought it could be hooked up to a computer. Going in on Monday.

Thanks