engine oil tank overflowing HELP

Reaction score
Neihbors Yamaha 93- 150hp V6 precision blend motor has a oil resivour (under the motor hood) over flowing problem when running. It will fill completely and push excess oil to the pump thus on into the cylinders. LOTS of smoke and mess under the cowling :( :?:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's an easy one, the tank under the cowling has a level switch on it so it automaticaly gets refilled when at low end. There is additional common circuitry involved too, one of the other members will respond hopefully with some troubleshooting info. If he's not a DIYer, get it off to the dealer.

If he unplugs the connector going to the boat's tank, and monitors usage in motor tank until it gets fixed, he can probably use the boat. If he doesn't moinitor usage though, bring check made out for $5 for new powerhead when going out.

seasick

Reaction score
BobP said:
That's an easy one, the tank under the cowling has a level switch on it so it automaticaly gets refilled when at low end. There is additional common circuitry involved too, one of the other members will respond hopefully with some troubleshooting info. If he's not a DIYer, get it off to the dealer.

If he unplugs the connector going to the boat's tank, and monitors usage in motor tank until it gets fixed, he can probably use the boat. If he doesn't moinitor usage though, bring check made out for $5 for new powerhead when going out.

There is also a manual overide switch on the motor. If the switch is stuck on, oil will flow continously.
It is probably the float switch in the secondary tank. The sender can be pulled up and out to check if it works.

richie rich

Reaction score
I had a similar but opposite situation on an older Yamy 150 on my old 86 CC....the engine mounted tank kept running dry, so I had to manually flip the switch to fill it....I was told it was the sending unit for the main tank...had it replaced....and it still did the same thing...whats left and is it the same problem for Charles?

seasick

Reaction score
richie rich said:
I had a similar but opposite situation on an older Yamy 150 on my old 86 CC....the engine mounted tank kept running dry, so I had to manually flip the switch to fill it....I was told it was the sending unit for the main tank...had it replaced....and it still did the same thing...whats left and is it the same problem for Charles?
Could be the same issue. In your case if the secondary tank sensor thinks the tank is full, it wont send the pump signal. In Charles's case if the secondary tank thinks it is empty, it will always send the pump signal.

seasick

Reaction score
richie rich said:
Problem is, the certified mechanic did replace that sensor...like $175....still had problems
Maybe the manual overide pump switch is bad. Its harness can be disconnected I believe.

richie rich

Reaction score
the manual override switch on the engine definitely works in manual...otherwise I would have been stuck on the water.....it just won't refill in auto even after replacing the dam sending unit from the main tank......I don't want to buy another one and its been a couple of seasons so I cant return it.

Reaction score
Problem solved .....The float switch was bad, took out and slide float up and down to turn the pump off and on. Key must be on, when float is at bottom dash buzzer should sound, when you move float up the shaft the pump will come on in the main tank, will run until the float is about 1/8" from top. About mid way up there was a dead spot and the pump would shut off sometimes and not others also at the top which should indicate the tank is full. Took to dealer and they checked with ohmeter per service manual, they confirmed it was bad. New unit in the tank now and the problem is solved. Thanks all for the come backs :D