Engine Paint

PA228G

Reaction score
Like others, the leading edge of my motor sits in the water when fully tilted fwd. Hauled it for the storm and thought it would be a good time to try out an anti-fouling paint - locally only. Anyone tried this?

seasick

Reaction score
If you do so, make sure you get paint appropriate for aluminum and not regular bottom paint. Interlux TriLux 33 is one such paint. To be honest, I have used the Trilux 33 aerosol product several times and in my opinion it doesn't' work at all, not one coat, two coats or three coats.
Aquaguard is a similar product. I haven't used it but others have posted that it also doesn't work.

I am a firm believer on Prop Speed but I see it not on LUs but rather on rudders, shafts and props. I don't know if it would adhere to a painted casting. In addition, it is really expensive and tricky to apply correctly.
So if anyone has experience with something that works, let us know.

seasick

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Doesn't any build up come right off after you run the boat?
No, especially if you get barnacles.

30marlin

Reaction score
That Pettit spray on paint for outdrives does not work.
Put on 3 coats in the spring. Painted the section of the lower unit noses and brackets.
Then after 2 months I start getting growth on the noses that you have to scrub off each week.

Pulled the boat for the hurricane. The brackets are loaded with barnacles and the no sign of
the gear case ever being painted.

I am also looking for something good to use. Never had any luck with the spray on anti-fouling.

PA228G

Reaction score
Yep - I've been in the water twice this year to scrape barnacles. There are some reports on another forum that the Trilux 33 (brush on) holds up fairly well. Bought a quart today (for a smooth $80). I'll update in a month.

Shutterbug

Reaction score
I must be the only one with success having used the interlux. Prior to last year the Grady bracket angle kept the engines from fully tilting out of water. For 20 yrs I sprayed the leading end of both l.u.'s, never a barnacle problem and just one spray prior to spring launching. New bracket keeps both out now. Located Tangier Sound/Chesapeake.

I may still have the spray although it's black. I just noticed your location, if interested call me at 410-623-2448 after 6-8pm. You can have it if it still sprays.

Tim