Etecs on a sailfish

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has repowered there sailfish with Etecs and what the results were. I have a 96 272 and we are now considering a pair of 225 Etecs. Thoughts?

Thanks
SBLGFD

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I researched this myself on other forums and based on independently verified results the E-Tecs use significantly more fuel ( like 3 gph more at cruise with twin 225 hp E-Tecs ), the two stroke oil is outrageously expensive ( $ 40 a gallon for the XD-100 ), they cost more to purchase new than some four strokes ( like Suzuki ), and their resale is just horrible.

The# 1 Wellcraft dealer in the entire country, Sundance Marine in Ft Lauderdale, just recently told me the only 2007 leftover models they still have in stock all have E-Tecs on them. On a saltwater fishing boat they are very hard to sell, either new or used.

They have a beautiful new 2007 Wellcraft 35' Scarab thats been for sale for nearly three years and the only reason they can't sell it is because it has triple E-Tec 250's on it. They have drastically marked it down to $ 115,000, a truly unbeliably low price, yet it still won't sell.

If at all possible put some four strokes on it and learn to change the oil yourself, its easy and you'll save ALOT of money overall.

richie rich

Reaction score
Etec's may burn a little more fuel but they have more torque than a four stroke....plus no maintenance for 3 years? And they weigh less than a 4 stroke so make sure your boat is ready for it. And you can buy great full synthetic oil for under $30....Yamalube is $30 yet people still buy that.....you can also winterize your boat at the press of a button....look at the overall picture for cost including yearly maintenance from day one, not just 3 GPH that has not been verified by some independent test out there....otherwise the 4 stroke guys would be making new commercials right now to get all over that.

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Looked at both . If I stay with a Etec I can use my existing gauges and controls. Also I have been told my bolt holes wil line up.
Spoke with Grady and they said typacally a 4 stroke will require the scuppers to be moved up due to the weight. Not really wanting to do any fiberglass work.
SBLGFD

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I can't address most of the comments made above.

But we had a ride yesterday on a ten-YO 28-ft Whitewater CC, that was repowered with 250HP Etec's a little over a year ago.

The boat was very fast, the engines were powerful and fairly quiet, and the old "two-stroke smell" was less than we had on our 250HP OX66.

But we really love our F150s. We have 840hrs since repowering in Nov 2005.

Brian