ethanol gas

mistymorn

Reaction score
Thanks, gradyfish22. I did get a ton of water..so perhaps I did get some bad gas. What do you think of gradually adding 15 or so gals of ethanol to the system. :?: as I said the dealer said that they are using a different formulation :?:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was told by my mechanic to run my tank down low, then add the fuel. He did not give me a good enough answer as to why to do this, but I did it to be safe, and had no issues with the switch over, I ran my tank down to about 1/4, maybe a little less, but more then 1/8 of a tank and then filled it completely with the new fuel. I think it was more of a precaution then anything. Not sure what would happen if you mixed it in slowly, possibly not much but I'm not an expert in fuel's. It probably is just a slightly different amount of ethanol in the fuel, or it may be from a new distributor that may have new additives. I'd think as long as you are adding star tron and ring free you should be fine, hopefully others will chime in and maybe some may know reasons why not to do this, but I cannot think of any.

mistymorn

Reaction score
Thanks again...you make perfect sense....It is a shame that this junk has been forced doun our throats....but...oh well...life will go on....Boat safely!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Grog said:
To be honest I think it was more hype than actual problems with the ethanol. Use good 10 micron filters and have fun. It does eat at the fuel pumps so plan on changing them.

yeper

10% or less alcohol is fine for marine fuel rubber

any more they will do metal
im glad my grady is metal until water seperator!!
cept fuel fill and vent :shock:

eppem

Reaction score
best solution is to be proactive...you can have your tank spotless clean and get a batch of bad gas from your gas dock...the e10 has to work its way thru the whole system, the problem is, that system ends up in your tank! Pop the sender and look into your fuel tank, you can see any water or crap sitting under the gas (gas floats)...make a syphon with some hose, a primer bulb and some copper tubing and you can solve many of the problems. While at the gas dock, stop and pump some gas into (an approved!0 container and use your best assett..YOUR EYES! good clean fuel looks like urine..(unless its treated by your gas dock supplier)...we, like many CT resident boaters had some problems when the switch was made...i think its 3 or 4 years now and the problems are not as bad...glad to help if you have questions...

mike@diversemm.com

gw204

Reaction score
striped bass said:
eppem and Gradyfish22:
My engine mechanic stated that using ring free and a gas stabilizer is adequate. He feels that the 10 micron will be over restrictive on the gas flow and starve the engine. I have a Yamaha 225 two stroke, 1998. I am not convinced, yet. Any thoughts?

Ringfree and Stabil w/ every fill up for me. I'm also running 10mm (I think) 3213 Racors on the exact same motors and have had zero issues w/ Ethanol or fuel delivery.