F-350 lower water intake partial blockage

Tashmoo

Reaction score
A note of interest regarding the F350 on GW's and the lower unit bullet and lower water intake being in the water 100% of the time. I just pulled my boat and winterized for the season. During the winterization I pulled the strainer off the lower water intake and found it packed with tiny mussels, growth (aka mung) and a few barnacles. I would say that about 70% of the flow path was obstructed.

I complained about this issue early in the season was told by GW that there was not much that could be done and was chastised by some on the site for being too particular. For the record, I have been brushing the lower unit all season to keep the mung off as was suggested by one of the chastisers. From the exterior everything looked great, inside was not. Did it cause a performance problem, no not this year, but what about five or ten years from now. In my book this is a problem. I was able to get all of it off except for what was deep up in the water passage out of reach. This may be accessible by removing the lower unit but I did not take that step. Yamaha says that this is a secondary pick up designed for high speed boats and that in this application even if it was 100% blocked it would not affect the cooling. Good send me a plug to seal it up and block it off then. Also what happens when one of the dime sized mussels comes free and goes through the water pump and then through the engines cooling passages. Not my preference for certain.

Also, a point worth noting. The lower unit drain plug had a lot of growth on it and around it as it is hidden under the intake strainer and hence out of reach for weekly cleaning. When I changed the lower unit oil it was clear to me if you are not paying attention, the mung that grows around the plug if not completely cleaned off could cause a sealing problem with the plug. It is not easy to get a clear view of the seating area as there is always a little bit of oil coming out of the drain even when left open for an hour. I am sure that I/O owners deal with this every year, I just have not seen it before.

I plan on taking this up with GW and requesting a blank plug from through them from Yamaha to close off the intake since they say it is not necessary in the first place. I will post my findings.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that doesn't sound good. where is the lower water intake located? what model gw do you have? steve (gulfcart) another question for you: do you see any issue on the 33?

yamaha redesigned the upper exhaust port on the f200 after mine. on our gulfstream with twin f200's, the little exhaust port is maybe an inch above the water line. hopefully they are already working on a fix for the water intake. ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
belay that location question. paged around the yamaha site and saw the diagram. even i could predict that that wasn't a very good choice of positioning; and i'm just a bean counter.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
The lower water intake is on opposing sides of the lower unit (gear case) bullet at mid diameter about inch or so forward of the bullet point. The boat model is a 275 Tournament.

I do not know how the F350's sits on any other model but if the lower water intake is below the water line when the engine is up on its stops then you have the possibility of seeing the same issue that I have. Please understand that this is a manageable problem just not a desirable one to have. If Yamaha's statement that the lower intake is only necessary for high speed boats than it is likely an unnecessary problem as well.

This problem will only occur on engines like the F-350 where there are two raw water pickups and one is below water when the engine is tilted full up to its stops due to the way the engine sits on the transom. For example this would not be an issue on a 225 or 250 hp Yamaha even if the bullet sat in the water while raised on its stops as there is no second lower pickup.

DWiss

Reaction score
I have a 336 with the same issues. When the oil was changed by the Yamaha dealer they cleaned out the intake they claimed there were no blockages or growth. I am concerned that when the boat sits for one or two weeks (rare but it happens) that growth could occur and lead to a water pump failure if something breaks loose and damages the water pump.

I have thought of designing some sort of small bucket device that I could place under the lower unit and pump out the water so that the lower unit is dry if the boat is going to sit. No real solution as of yet though.

The only real solution I have for now is to try to use the boat as much as I can to keep the passage clean.