F225 CORROSION ISSUE

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Changed my thermostats this past weekend, noticed my starboard f225 had salt deposits just behind the thermostat. changed out the tstats and cleaned up the salt, started the motor and noticed bubbling through the block. NOT GOOD!!. The block has corroded through. I always flush the engines, changed the anodes and this happens. Brought it to my yamaha guy and he contacted yamaha, The reply was that yamaha was going to give me $500 off a new powerhead. the engine is a 2004 model built in 6/03. total hours of 575. I will contact yamaha myself and see where it goes. I am another yamaha owner that has succumbed to this corrosion issue, My winter project was to inspect the exhausts to see if corrosion exists there, that will be additional costs. I feel that yamaha has to address this issue and stand behind their product. By the way i had asked about trade in on the f225's and the dealers does not really want them in trade due to corrosion issues, that says something.Ill keep you posted

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That sucks. Did you repower at some point to 4 strokes? I have a 2000 sailfish with OX66 2 strokes. Is this issue only with F series 4 strokes? Good luck with Yamaha. Maybe they will help off the record.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I bought the boat in 2005, the repower was just done 1 year prior, 100 hours on them at that time. I have been reading alot on line about corrosion in early 2002 up to 2005 yamaha 4 strokes, hit or miss on the corrosion but as time goes by we will see what happens.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Really sorry this is happening to you. There's a lot on THT about this, might want to see what everyone else is doing. Never heard of it corroding through the block thought it was just in the dry part of the exhaust. Please keep us posted with developments.

jellyfish

Reaction score
YOUR in luck now, Looks like Yamaha just came out with a Kit that has a part number as well. Cost is $600 dollars for ea kit. Someone on THT just posted about this kit. :dance