F225 Poppet Valve

Slacktime

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the Poppet Valve (I think it's also called the Pressure control Valve) on a Yamaha F225? Any advice on how often or symptoms to indicate replacement. Engines have 680 hours, but I don't know if it ever was replaced.

thanks

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did one on one of my 150 HPDI's. Pressure increased dramatically across all rpm's. Granted mine are 2004 vintage with the cross shaped head and the new ones are convexed domed. Post over at TheHullTruth in the the Shipyard Isle Marine Parts forum. Sim will set you straight. http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-is ... -parts-22/

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't have a service manual on this engine, but I don't think the F225 has poppet valves. If they do, I haven't been able to find them.

gradydriver

Reaction score
The F225s Do have a poppet valve...it's buried that's why you have not found it...it should be serviced every two years...in salt water they will eventually stop working...then it's a ticking time bomb.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
gradydriver said:
The F225s Do have a poppet valve...it's buried that's why you have not found it...it should be serviced every two years...in salt water they will eventually stop working...then it's a ticking time bomb.

I know that my previous 2-stroke 225 had them, but I cannot find the location of the poppet valve on my F225's four-strokes, so today, I went to Shorts and bought a Clymer service manual for the 2000-2003 Yamaha F225. In the manual, on page 110, it reads "Because two thermostats are used, the water pressure relief valve is not needed on 200 and 225 hp models". I thought that poppet valves and water pressure relief valves were the same thing. I am really interested in this, so if you have actually removed a poppet valve from an F225, please post additional information for us, with photos if possible, on the how to do this.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Max and Hank, thanks for bringing this to light. I guess I shoulda bought a Yamaha service manual, :bang but at least now I know that it has one, and how to change it. Good info. I think I'll send Clymer an email with a link to SIM's website. :goodjob

Slacktime

Reaction score
This is some very good information. Thanks to all contributors. I know that the engine has one, because it is shown in the manual and the part is available for the F225. I am now going to replace it after haul out in a couple of weeks.

Slacktime

ahill

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of the Poppet valve until recently, been boating for over 50 years without an issue with one. Had mine checked and are ok.
A boat in Bimini had one go out and had to fly the part in from Ft Lauderdale. Now a part of my spares. The Bimini visitor sat at the dock over the weekend killing much of his vacation.
Same trip a new F225 had an injector problem & finally found a local who could fix it.

Slacktime

Reaction score
Today was haulout day for my 03 Marlin :( and I finally replaced the poppet valves. Inspection showed no particular signs of wear, but since I already bought the new ones, I put them in. No big deal to do it once the plastic cowling is removed.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't see a need to replace the poppet if it isn't acting up. Symptoms of a bad one are overheating at low speeds but OK cooling at high speeds under load. If my motor showed signs of salt buildup, I would check the valves more frequently.
So unless I have reason to suspect a problem, the parts on my Yami I leave alone are poppet, VST screen and O2 sensor.
OK, let's hear it:)

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have two 2004 150 HPDI motors and since, they have changed the design to promote easier water flow as the new ones are domed heads compared to the cross style heads of the old ones. I swapped one out last spring and the difference in pressure is tremendous. Starboard motor with the old valve ran about 12 - 15 PSI, new valve on the port pushed it up to 20 PSI. I did change the water pump on the Port motor as well so all the effect may not be from just the poppet but previous water pump changes did not make much difference in the pressure.