Fabric amount for 1988 sailfish replacement

blandj1

Reaction score
Reference P6150004 on Homepage for photo of fabric I am trying to replace.
The image on GW Home page shows (an example photo) of the interior v berth and cushions on my 1988 sailfish 25 that I want to replace with a Rober Allen Nautica design at 60.00/yd.
I naturally do not want to buy more than needed. Any ball park figures on how many yds I need to order for complete refurbish plus a couple or three cushions as show in the pic?
Thanks for any advice/help on this topic. I just joined the forum, so pardon if this topic has already been covered in a previous thread.

Jack

richie rich

Reaction score
$60 per yard? Wow...

I bought some left over rolls of Sunbrella fabric form a store called Defender Ind.....I think it was 10 yard butt roll...maybe less...it was like 6 or 7 bucks a yard....had someone do my v-berth cushions with it...they said they used it all, but I didn't care because the price was so cheap...you can do a quick measurment of the v-berth and double it for both sides, then add some scrap factor to it...

best yet, give the actual measurment to the shop that will be stiching it...they will tell you what they need.

seasick

Reaction score
A good shop should be able to estimate fairly accurately. To an extent, the yardage depends on the material width ( different fabrics come in different widths, the need to match patterns, and most importantly, how efficiently the needed cutouts fit the material width ( or length depending again on pattern). For example, if the cushions are longer than the width of the material you have to cut lengthwise because the pattern runs that direction, If the remaining piece of the width is not wide enough for the other side, your wastage will be could be almost 50% ( OK the narrow pieces may be usable for pillows or smaller cushions) but you need to lay out the patterns on paper first to estimate. Note also that for berth cushions, the bottom material may not need to be the same as the top. That can cut costs.