Fell while washing Voyager today

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I took one of the worst falls today while washing my Voyager ever in my life. When i finished washing the front and moving down to the lower deck I slipped and hit my lower back on the live well. The fall was off the walkaround. I was holding the water hose and a bucket full of detergent and water. I got up and I don' think anything is broken,but after a few min. I got sick to my stomach but that only lasted a few min. I completed the inside but will wait a few days to wash the outside. I'm sitting here now with a warm pack on my back. I also skinned my arm, hit my shin and my left thigh. The bad and scary part is a few years ago I had neck surgert and 2 years ago I had lower back surgery 2 times in seven days.
Good gosh it scared the sit out of me and I'm still going to be sore as heck even if nothing is broken.
Be careful it happened in a split second.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Ouch... Hope you recover well. Check your shoes when you get back in the swing of things. It might be a good opportunity to get a fresh pair.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was barefooted when this happened. I had kicked off my flip flops so I wouldn't slip :-| . Anyone have a suggestion on a good non slip deck shoe?

ahill

Reaction score
Were you wearing Crocs?
Had a similar fall coming down the bridge steps on my 272 wearing Crocs.
Now I wear my Topsiders when washing.
I've been on boats my whole life and never had a slip like that.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hope you recover quickly with no lasting injuries. I would suggest ICE- ICE- ICE, then more ICE... Many times a day. Heat feels better but ice works better. I'm not a medical professional but that's what has always been recommended to me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the boats (even when close to new) are not that good with bare feet. I slipped once while getting in after swimming, now I always wear shoes.
I like the Sperry topsiders, but not padded all that well for longer trips.
Crocks are ok when new, it seems once the crocks wear, they can loose their grip.
I got a pair of Marlins off the net that work last year.
This year I got a pair or Columbia drain makers. Have not tried yet.

I usually get a new pair of something each year and then retire a pair - this year the Crocks are done and will be used as beach shoes.....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Felt your pain..(Literally..)
I took a similar dive years ago on my Seafarer, although not as severe as yours.

The term "Non-Skid" decking is false advertising...

Never go aboard without shoes nowadays...

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well I made it through the day but not without pain . My lower back looks like a blackberry pie. I don't hurt as much while standing or sitting on a 5 gallon bucket, told my wife I may move my chair out and replace it with the bucket. :)
As for shoes when washing a boat I don't know which ones would be best. I need a pair that will withstand water because I get wet when washing my Grady. I'm going take it real easy the next few days.

bfrank

Reaction score
journeyman said:
Hope you recover quickly with no lasting injuries. I would suggest ICE- ICE- ICE, then more ICE... Many times a day. Heat feels better but ice works better. I'm not a medical professional but that's what has always been recommended to me.
X2 Learned that the hard way!

Good luck on the recovery

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
GW;
Ever since I fell, I found regular tennis shoes with the usual grip-design bottoms work fine. Just make sure they're not worn out to where the bottoms are smooth. Otherwise, your in danger again.