Fighting chair in a 232.

JTB

Reaction score
Anyone ever done it? What is the smallest chair out there? We have caught 3 marlin in 3 years all on stand up and that has to change!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There's a 232 at my marina that has a chair installed. It's a smaller sizeed chair but seems to fit in the cockpit OK. Would be nice to remove it when not fishing to gain more room.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that's going to take up room (even though the 232 cockpit is huge). i'm pretty sure kingfisher (or a similar make) makes a folding chair with a gimbal mount. you can always install some hold down straps if you think you want more security.

if you do mount a stationary chair, you'll probably need to reinforce the deck. ron

JTB

Reaction score
What type of reinforcement? Should I call Grady and ask?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have the first item listed on this page, with the four-legged base. Works pretty damn well, with your feet up against the stern seat, or a big cooler.

http://www.boatdepot.com/product.aspx?id=924

Just put it on the boat when we need it.

You can see it in the signature photo below.

I got it for a great price from someone who had it in the basement for five years... :D

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some information from the guy at my marina. I'll try and get some pictures also.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had one mounted in my '93 Sailfish, and it worked out very well. I had a firend that installed the same model chair in his 232 Gulfstream. I installed a backup plate which I bought from the chair manufacturer (I'll try to find the name), and once installed, the chair was held to a top-place on deck, with 3 hex-head bolts, so it could be remover very easily.

I left the chair on the boat when Brian (gw204) bought it, and I think he removed it. You could pm him and ask if he still has it. I was a very nice chair, which could hold 2 rods in the arm-rest rod-holders, and had a gimbal for the marlin fight. So it could be used when trolling (center line), as well. I was even great to sit in when bottom fishing.

bc282

Reaction score
what's wrong with stand up?
IMO a proper stand up harness can put more pressure on the fish and is easier on the angler too. Shoulder or Kidney style harness should be avoided for larger game fish as they will kill your back, rather a bucket or "squat" harness is the best and really the only option. I'd recommend OTR (Ocean Tackle Research) harness with Smitty XL or Long range belt/pad. I've seen first hand many cow (200+#) YFT come to the boat in short time using this harness and rod/reel gear suitable to put the beat down on the big fish with a lot of smooth drag.

JTB

Reaction score
We have landed 3 marlin on stand up w Braid bucket harnesses. A chair is easier on a green horn or someone who is older or who does not have good "sea legs". Alot of people I take fishing fall into this catagory.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what size line you fish and what size bill you expect to catch?
Reelax Industries in Australia make a 50lb Moreton Bay Chair. Has a gimble and you can get a foot rest. Ours came on a previous boat and as yet we haven't used the chair on the Grady however I installed the base with a custom made backing plate and then built a tackle station/ bait board which is there permanently these days.
As the heaviest we fish is 50 lb and we feel we can do that quite well with standup harness and gimble.
As you say gumby's would probably feel better in the chair. So many can't even hold the rod and wind without it twisting in their hands.....
P2140008.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
This is the chair I have...

http://www.tracy-intl.com/pro-fisherman.html

But as Capt. Bill mentioned, it mounts to an AL plate that is through bolted to the deck rather than just sitting on the deck as pictured. It's a nice chair but I found it got in the way when not fishing. So, I pulled it out and have it stored in my basement. Now I keep two folding deck chairs on board for general use and will just bolt the chair back in when going offshore (if I ever get there).

LI Grady

Reaction score
The Tracy chair is great! I've had it with the base on my Pacemaker for years. I haven't tried it on the Grady yet for all of the above mentioned reasons...at least not yet

Jekly...that is a great looking setup you made. Any chance you can post a few more pics?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, it turned out even better than I thought and would really miss it if we didn't have it now.

It was actually built for my previous boat (a cat) . It had a really long cockpit and came with the chair. As we fish light tackle( 6kg) 90% of the time, the chair wasn't being used and i needed somewhere to store my big minnows and jigs with a bait prep center as well.
I was lucky that it transferred over to the 265 Express perfectly with no mods required and the base plate fits exactly between two inspection ports. Which was really handy for fitting the backing plate in 2 sections.

If you go to the gallery section on this site and look for my thread "pictures i have promised" at the end of that thread i have include 3 photos of the bait prep station.

I'll see if i can get some pics of the chair in place. But it doesn't look as good as the other one pictured in the advertisement.