filling main tank on a 1994 sailfish

acornbob

Reaction score
Having trouble with gas splashing back out of fill port. Takes forever to put fuel in -- have to go slow and stop frequently. Have checked the vent line by disconnecting it and blowing compresed air -- good flow at hull vent. Any suggestions?

richie rich

Reaction score
snake a small hose or something down the fill tube and see if its blocked on the inlet...cant see what it would be though....tough one

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The fill line may have crushed around a (too tight) bend or bulkhead penetration, can you feel along the line or otherwise see it?

The 1.5 inch fill line shoud offer no restriction to the flow of fuel from any pumping station, including high speed ones.

Except for some 20 footers since the fill point was low relative to top of tank, heard no other issues unless fuel or water is getting into vent line, then same will occur. or you rocking while fueling.

Is any fuel vapor or fuel dripping down the vent outside the boat?

Keep a 100% cotton rag around the nozzle base

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an issue once when filling up but the previous fill I really filled it up and could have caused my own problem. There can be a low spot in the vent line which will cause problems if liquid gas sits there. After running her, never had the problem again.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Grog, so a dip in the vent line acted as a trap of sorts blocking the air from venting?

Yep!

The engines ran without any problems and future fills weren't a problem. It was probably just a little dip that collected gas or I would probably have had issues.