First Grady

OldCarolina

Reaction score
Greetings Friends-

Just bought our first Grady White last week - 2005 Escape 209 with 2005 Yamaha F200 in great shape

I've replaced some snaps on the cushions and replaced the cockpit shower pump, but everything else is in good working order.

I stumbled across this site it looked like a great forum to join because I will need a lot of help along the way. I'll post more pictures when I can.

Here she is:

SJ - Johns Island, SC

Attachments

• Grady1.jpg
    Grady1.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 2,467

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations..! I hope to be joining you with my first Grady real soon...

-Scott

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congratulations on "getting the Grady". She looks great.

Lots of great folks on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, or for help as needed.

Brian

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome aboard....and congratulations. Love the 209....use it well....

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on your Grady. Good feeling. Remember, you won't have to go far for advice on here. There are some really sharp guys, even a few engineers, and lots of guys with years of boating experience that will kick in some help. Now, go fishing.

OldCarolina

Reaction score
Thanks for the good words. I'm going to have a lot of questions.

The boat came with Furuno GPS and sounder (1650W and FCV-600L) which I will learn how to use due to budgetary restraints even though I'm more familiar with the Garmin stuff.

But .... no VHF so that's my top priority right now. I'm looking at lower-end ICOM with a Shakespeare rail mount antennae. Anyone had any trouble with these products or a better suggestion?

The T-top has outrigger plates but that will come later. And I need to run this boat a bit more before and monitor my speed and RPMs before I can make a decision about a stainless prop.

Its weird ... I love this boat.

SJ - Johns Island, SC

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The VHF and antenna is something that I would spend a few extra bucks on, even if I had to wait on something else for a bit. Your safety is too important.

Some people like ICOM, others like Standard Horizon....stop by a West Marine or other marine store and press the buttons and decide which one you prefer. I have a S/H 1600 on my 225 and it works great. Match it up with either a Shakespeare 5225 or Digital 529 antenna and you will be all set.

Whatever you do, either connect your GPS to the VHF or spend a few bucks more for the S/H 1700 with the built in GPS. If you ever have to push the distress button, you want folks to be able to know where you are and plot a course to your rescue.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Parthery said:
The VHF and antenna is something that I would spend a few extra bucks on, even if I had to wait on something else for a bit. Your safety is too important.

Some people like ICOM, others like Standard Horizon....stop by a West Marine or other marine store and press the buttons and decide which one you prefer. I have a S/H 1600 on my 225 and it works great. Match it up with either a Shakespeare 5225 or Digital 529 antenna and you will be all set.

Whatever you do, either connect your GPS to the VHF or spend a few bucks more for the S/H 1700 with the built in GPS. If you ever have to push the distress button, you want folks to be able to know where you are and plot a course to your rescue.

X2 do not skimp on VHF setup its too important. I had a that GPS a few boats ago and it does a great job once you get used to it.

Congrats on the new boat you will be thrilled.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Grady! Like everyone else said do not skimp on the radio or antenna. Both Icom and Standard make aircraft and ham radio equipment so they know their stuff. I have owned both before. VHF is line of site so the higher you can get your antenna the further you can hear and be heard . An 8 foot glass antenna mounted to your top will deliver better performance than a rail mounted one.

shadow379

Reaction score
Welcome to the Grady family! Sounds like you are on the right track with making the VHF a top priority. I am constantly responding to vessels offshore that do not have a radio, with the excuse that they never go outside of cell phone coverage. My immediate question to them is, do you have the phone number to every vessel in the area? Then they see my point. Just a quick reminder, please keep your radio on and maintain a watch on channel 16! The radio is not just for your safety when you need help but for everyones safety, you just may be able to save someone else in distress! I utilize two fixed mount radios on seperate dedicated antennas and in addition a handheld for times that I may need to communicate away from the helm. I also have two fixed mount chartplotters and a portible gps in addition to a EPIRB. Also be sure you have full safety gear at the ready also. Once again welcome and safe boating!

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am curious about why there is no stainless prop on you engine. I was under the impression that the F200 cam with one. At any rate, you have the right boat and live where you can enjoy it 10 months a year. Congratulations. I believe you can download a Furuno owner's manual for your unit from their web site.