First year Greenwood XL was used in Grady transoms?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Desperado, very difficult to do, since the side hull coring is in intimate contact with the transom, and so is stringer grid attachements, they can communicate water since not isolated (the stringer grid may be isolated via glass but not coring.

Your side hulls, and forward hull middle section are all wood cored.

Any water getting ino the stringer grid, coring, transom, never can get out, so it continues moving - the forces of gravity and capilary action cannot be denied.

If Grady used the alum trim cap on the top of the transom cut out on your model, have that removed and glassed over, you either have to remove every fitting including the hundreds of rub rail screws, and rebed each one, or otherwise trust the factory production worker and his 5 dollar caulk gun-ing skills on each.

Reseal the floor covers dozens of screws, ice pick each hole before recaulking to see if the ice pick continues, if it does, consult a professional.

Brad1

Reaction score
richie rich said:
An air void from the get go on a cored boat and they wouldn't stand behind it? Nice.....I wouldn't buy one from them ever again either. With all the technology today dealing with bagging and infusion and they still can't get it right is amazing. Usually cored boats are dry stacked and then infused so there would be no void....doing a hand layup on a foam cored boat is kind of defeating the purpose of the new technology as they need constant laminating pressure all over the part until its cured to bond well.....can't get that by hand layup. Waste of resin too. May I ask who built it?

That manufacturer eventually agreed to my terms, but I had to sign a confidentiallity agreement, so no, I can't say who built it.

A core is nothing more than just that. Doesn't matter if it's wood or something else. Where they used to place a hunk of wood, now they place a hunk of foam (be it divinycel or whatever). But they still layup the glass over the non-wood component just like they did the wood component. Sure, some manufactorers are using advanced techniques, but they are the exception. The biggest change is that the manufacturers can now say "wood free".

There was a time when I was hung up on the whole wood free thing. I even sold my '94 Proline to buy the boat I described above because of it. But after my experience with a wood free boat, I came to my senses and realized that layout and ride are the two most important attributes of a boat (at least IMO). And it is in those two departments that Grady White Kicks Butt! At least in the 22 ft WA class. What's the point of having a wood free boat if either the layout or the ride (or both) suck. You can't change the layout or the ride of a boat.