Fishbox lid for '95 Gulfstream?

atmatthews1

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hey all - I've got a 1995 Gulfstream which is obviously nearly impossible to find parts for. In this case, the fishbox lid (starboard) is really banged up. Ideally I'd like to replace it. The livewell lid (port) appears to have been repaired / painted and is in decent shape. I suppose repair is a possibility, but I frankly don't have time to deal with it. Any suggestions out there?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would just start googling and checking on eBay over the next 6 months or so. Google for marine salvage yards, too. You don't mention where you are, but look around for a local glass fabricator. The only time it would take you is to drop it off and then go back and get it. Heck, it's a small enough part that you cold even mail it to a shop. It's not hard to fix - just takes time - and you don't have that, then having someone do it for you might be the best thing.

atmatthews1

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would just start googling and checking on eBay over the next 6 months or so. Google for marine salvage yards, too. You don't mention where you are, but look around for a local glass fabricator. The only time it would take you is to drop it off and then go back and get it. Heck, it's a small enough part that you cold even mail it to a shop. It's not hard to fix - just takes time - and you don't have that, then having someone do it for you might be the best thing.

You're probably right about finding a glass shop...I'm located in York, Maine. Thanks for the reply.

suzukidave

Reaction score
a fibreglass repair guy can sand it down, repair any damage and apply a new coat of gelcoat that will be a reasonably close match.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It might be a little harder to find someone there - if no luck, try Portland. There are a bunch of little boat builders scattered throughout the coast, but the trouble is sometimes trying to get in touch with them. If still no luck, go right to searching Florida - there will be plenty of choices there. Maybe someone on here can even recommend a place in Florida.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd check with some yards or online marine parts if you want to replace, if not go to a local glass guy. The problem with the Resin Transfer Molded parts is they are subject to water intrusion on the back side lip (flat edge). Once water gets in and it freezes the edges end up breaking apart. To make it worse the base material is largely fairing compound as that is the way they get the clean edge.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I repaired mine. Took it off over the winter, grind out all the crap and huge chips. Filled with resin and glass fibers, sanded smooth, faired it then rolled on gel coat for a "non-skid" look.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is the way to do it. Unfortunately the rest of the lid had fairing compound in that area so be careful...

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been a while since visiting since I sold the 95 Islander. Fought this issue for many years with all hatches.
If it is just the fish box lids, how about having some built out of King Starboard and never do it again. Sea foam Color matches well and there is a textured surface.
My Hydrasports uses this for many lids. Grady used too much filler with a substandard coring material that absorbs moisture through the edges, expands and pops the gel and more. Will continue to happen. Fixed mine three times in 10 years, each time more aggressively., even recored some of them.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i need to do this as well on my 1995 223. mine has surface chips and spider cracks around the edges and i'd like to just tape off the non skid area and redo the gelcoat on the rest. i think that in addition to water intrusion damage the problem is there is no rubber dampening and no fastener or tie down to prevent bouncing.