Float Switches

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A lot of you are familiar with the problem I have been having with the float switch on my 283. I locked up in the on position and back fed power to the switch panel. This by-passes the battery switches and eventually ran down the house battery bank.

I have determined that the blue-box like float switch (cannot remember the name) is bad. It is probably under warranty but do I really want to replace the old with the same kind being that the old failed after one season on the water?

Has anyone had a lot of success with the electronic type? Can you recommend one brand over the other?

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Are you referring to an electronic switch or an electronic pump. I am not a fan of the latter because they cycle every few minutes. That results in battery drain that is not necessary if your bilge is generally dry as mine is.
The issue with mechanical switches is that they can get plugged with debris and stick in the on position. That is more likely in boats that have water, washdown, etc flowing through the bilge. Some folks add a spaces to raise the switch up a bit. That helps reduce clogging but also means that there will be more residual water in the bilge. I can't comment on specific electronic switches since I have and am happy with my mechanical one.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Cannot say about electronic switch regrettably.

I can say that my orginal float switch served me well for 11years before failing and I replaced it with same and still no issue.

Good luck and post your thoughts should elect to go with Electric Switch