Floor Panel Sealant

Reaction score
I'm wondering what one would use to seal back up the cracks (the word 'crack' is really a poor word for the space between the panel and the space it fits in) in the floor panels after you remove them, and place them back. Obviously I'm not talking about the round access hatches, rather the larger rectangle that round access hatch is in.

I removed the engine well rectangle panel to do some work on the sea-cock, and bilge. I put it back, and didn't seal it... and then I ran around like an idiot wondering why my bilge was constantly spitting out water...

Thanks for the help

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you bury a loop of 300# or 400# mono down in the crevice before you caulk it, then you will have something to use to "break the seal" the next time you need to lift that hatch.

Reaction score
ksgoldman said:
Use GE Silicone II Almond color which you can purchase at Home Depot.

Really? this will keep the water out?

I think the previous owner must have used some kind of marine glue, or that marine-goo... the panel was near impossible to get off, and it's pretty damned hard to clean off the edges for the new sealant.

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
If you bury a loop of 300# or 400# mono down in the crevice before you caulk it, then you will have something to use to "break the seal" the next time you need to lift that hatch.

Sounds better than a utility knife...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
... the panel was near impossible to get off,

Yeah, some people get plumb stupid using stuff like 5200 ... :uhm

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
According to the folks at GE, "1hr Silicone ll KB Supreme" in almond is the same stuff packaged for consumers that Grady uses. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace all carry it for about 6 bucks a tube but mostly only carry it in black and white. They carry others in almond but not the "KB Supreme" so you have to have them get it and it takes a couple of days or get it online. From what GE says the only difference between KB Supreme and their other silicone ll is the amount of sanitizers for mold resistance. FWIW

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
"KB" is for 'Kitchen-Bath'.

Just like buying paint to those rooms - a few different additives.

Reaction score
Would you recommend the same product to seal up the outside of my rub rail? I noticed the previous owner has several layers of a clear sealant on the the top, bottom and the middle of the rub rail...

gw204

Reaction score
When sealing the rubrail, I would only caulk the top edge and the mounting screws. You don't want to seal up the insert or bottom. That could prevent water from draining out of it.