Flush ears on lower unit

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
For some reason when I attach the lower unit ears to my hose I don't get any water coming out of the pee hole. But when the boat is in the waterit "pees" just fine. Is that because there is not a tight seal on the ears? Also is that hose arrangement directional or does the water pump suck water from either direction?

eppem

Reaction score
Happy New Year!!

I can't explain the reason why but the bigger engines (I have F225s), don't like to run on muffs. Run the engine for longer than a few minutes and you could overheat. I bought a big green (like landscapers have), garbage can to run my engines in when i winterize them. This was highly suggested to me by a local yamaha mechanic that I by my parts from. You might have to stack some wood under the can to get it high enough, but the whole lower unit will fit. Fill it with water, run the hose in the can and turn on the engines, water will flow thru the "pee" hole.

Works perfect. Good luck...i have a photo in my phone but have no idea how to load up an example.

cgmiller

Reaction score
The pee hole is on the by-pass circuit in the engine and if you are not getting enough water into the engine the water will not come out there. Make sure you are getting as much water as you can or the engine will run hot. I have intermittant problems with my F150's..sometimes they are fione, other times I dont get enough water. Make sure your muff are covering all of the intake holes and you are not squirting water out the side...your intake may be bigger than the suction cups on the muffs..you may need a bigger set...