Flushing outboard engine

Newbie111

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
While in your your saltwater slip, do you flush your engine tilted down in the water or up out of the water? All videos I see have the boat on a lift or trailer. I have muffs and a port flush connector? What's best while at the dock? It's a 2003 honda 200hp engine.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
All in with "UP"

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i was told by a Yam tech to start down then tilt. forces the water thru the powerhead first. ron

Reactions: Meanwhile

Bilpep

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Flush in the up position with your port. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of flushing with fresh water. I flush my for 5 minutes each

bullymadison

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
if you are attaching the hose, i always assumed that meant i wasnt pulling in seawater (engine off) -- so why would it matter?

Thanns!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There are a few threads on this.
Concensus is:

In water... the ideal is flush motor while down and still hot (Tstat open) then raise motor to rinse the lower parts with fresh water.

seasick

Reaction score
if you are attaching the hose, i always assumed that meant i wasnt pulling in seawater (engine off) -- so why would it matter?

Thanns!
The fresh water also flushes the exhaust housing, water pump and lower unit. When up, some water will stay in the lower unit but it will be fresh water. If you flush and then raise the motor, you will scoop some sea water. In addition, the static pressure of the sea water on the lower unit can limit the flow of the fresh water due to back pressure