Footwell Removal Access to Trim Tabs Pump

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Will removal of the footwell on the 2013 Freedom 285 permit me to access the trim tab pump? I am looking at swapping the Bennett trim tab controller for the Mente Marine and I need to work on the wires to the trim tab pump. Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know your boat so can't help there - but if you know that's where it is, or if you looked in the manual and it said that's where it's located... is that the only removable thing nearby?

Just out of curiosity, why are you going to Mente? Bennett makes a plug-n-play auto tab controller.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I used a prior version of the Bennett ATC for many years with good results. I have had very poor results from the current Bennett ATC. As far as access goes, I think this is the easiest access but was hoping others here might advise.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Gotcha. Understood.

I have no experience with this, but have heard some really good things about "zip wake" - you may want to at least check into them.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Another access issue. To remove the Bennett trim tab switch, I need to get to the bottom of the switch from the underside. There is no way to do it short of cutting an access plate. That’s nuts. Perhaps it’s reachable if I remove the throttles but that seems quite difficult. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 08C9DBAD-9000-4B03-A35B-289C456F9C7F.jpeg
    08C9DBAD-9000-4B03-A35B-289C456F9C7F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I suspect the hole in the dash where the "antenna" switchplate is mounted may not be big enough, but is easy enough to check out. Otherwise, I think you could remove the MFD or even that plastic cubby in the stbd wall to get access - possibly the footwell cubby. Any of those should only take a few minutes to remove. You can tell better than me which might give you better access. Either way, you'll be doing it blind - which is very normal in the boating world. Is there access from behind the dash via something that is removable?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my dual console Tournament, I could reach the backside of the console by removing the plywood panel inside the doghouse forward of the wheel.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have removed all access panels, switch plates and the foot well to no avail. I have not yet removed the panel inside the dog house. I would be surprised if I could reach the underside of the switch from there since it appears to be about 4 feet or so assuming you could actually climb in.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Removing the MFD does create a big hole but you would have to be a monkey to work upside down with your arm at a right angle and then reach 3 feet to try to get to the switch. Also, the cubby on the wall creates the same 90 degree bend required assuming you could even reach all the way to the switch. Also, to remove that cubby, the seat needs to be moved. Not fun.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, it's hard to tell distances via a picture - especially with that MFD. the cubby actually looks doable since it "appears" the distance from the bend, where an elbow would be, to the tab control is short enough. But if you can't wiggle the cubby out, that definitely changes things. In that case, I would just cut a hole for an access plate in a good spot. That's quick and easy.

BUT, certainly try from the doghouse first. If needed, use extensions to reach the nuts.

Question... I think the tab plate uses plastic nuts? If you're not concerned about the tab plate, you may be able to pry the tab plate off (protect the gel, of course). Or, heck, just destroy the tab plate - drill right through the center of it and hack away.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Thought about destroying the switch but I will need to get to the underside to secure the Mente Marine switch so that option is out as well. It sounds like I am doing a lot of complaining but in over 40 years of boating (admittedly on larger boats) I have never been stumped like this on access issues.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I get it - I'm a lifelong boater and work in the industry, as well. I get stumped sometimes, too. And, yes, it's not uncommon to be in some crazy positions!

There's always a way, though. For example, secure the Mente with some adhesive caulk. No reason that can't work, you know?

Curious to hear about backside access, when you get to the boat again.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
The silicone solution sounds like a good idea. I just got off the telephone with Grady White. They seem to think the doghouse panel may be the best option or perhaps removing the drawer cabinet. I will report back late next week after all is done.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I went in through the top. Once the top rubber boot was destroyed, we were able to grab the heads on the four studs. With enough upward pressure, we were able to remove each stud while the nylon on the undersigned stayed pinned. So, we got all four studs out. Then, because the Mente Marine switch only has two studs, centered, we were able to reach those and put the wing nuts on by reaching through the ignition plate.