Four Stroke or HPDI Two Stroke?

Down Time 226

Reaction score
I have this going on THT, I want to eventually re power a 94 226 GW Seafarer. Noise is not a problem, nor is speed out of the hole. I want to go from a 200 two stroke carb to a 250. I want to save gas and have a better cruise speed and give the boat more guts in rough weather and quatering seas. She kind of wallows in a trough before she pushes over. Anyway, bang for buck, improve economy, what is best 2 or 4?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bang for the buck, keep what you have now until it blows or you don't trust it. Economy wise, the new generation engines are pretty close. Reports have said each other has better economy and reports can be skewed. The problem is some seem to have the notion that what they bought is the best and others suck (THT is becoming more useless by the minute).

As for later, how do you (and GW) feel about an additional 100 pounds sitting off the back of the transom?

If you don't want to keep the boat for a long time get the 250 OX-66 and be done with it.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have had a 200 HPDI and currently have a 225F. I loved the HPDI - It was relatively quiet to what you are currently running and the fuel economy was much better than the 2 stroke 200 Johnson I was running.

With that said, I love my 4 stroke. Fuel economy is pretty close to the HPDI, Definitely quiter at trolling sppeds. The only down side I have with the 4 stroke is it does not have the instant power of the HPDI. t is sluggish climbing rough seas. The downside may not be true opn a Seafarer - mine is on a Gulfstream which is a lot heavier than a Seafarer. If I was to buy it again I would definitely have gone with twins.

The HPDI I had was on a Seafarer. It was and 85 and the when I was repowerering the dealer told me that GW does not recommend the 4 strokes on the older models.

gw204

Reaction score
Both the 250 HPDI and F250 are gonna add closer to 200 lbs. over your current carbed 200.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We repowered our 1989 22 seafarer with a 200hp HPDI. Boat ran well and had plenty of power. Seemed like it had more power then the original carbed 225 evinrude. Unless you plan to run and gun, a 250 is not needed, also if you have an open transom, I would not go with anything heavier then the 200 HPDI. The four stroke would be completely out of the question on an open transom seafarer, and the weight of the 250 would be pushing it. The 200 HPDI sits just right in the water. We now have a boat with twin F225's. They are great engines, but do not do any better on gas from what I have seen, it is really a toss up and goes boat to boat. They are quieter and smoke free which is nice. Also, not going through oil like mad is nice. Many complain that four strokes do not have the hole shot of a two stroke, but I think it depends more on each boat. If you were on my 265 express you would beg to differ, I come out of the whole super quick, couldn't imagine planning any quicker. I've also been on many boats where the boats are sluggish, but I think it is more a weight and hull issue then the engines themselves. Either way, both engines are great engines and you will be happy. Good luck in your decision

salvageman

Reaction score
I am in the same fix, wondering what type of motor to get next. I have a '98 225g (open bow) that has a single '97 200 hp ox66 SWS II. I am thinking to go with the hpdi for max power......but not until the old engine gets unreliable......this motor is on a bracket......anyone know if I could go up to a 250 on this bracket? How much weight difference is there between the one I have, a new 200 HPDI and new 250 HPDI anyway-200 lbs? The plate on the hull suggests a max. hp of 240, as I recall. I will probably go with the 200.........I want to make the right decision though........ I like to go fast and I like to go now!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 1989 with a 200 HPDI and full fuel tops out at 39.5mph but that is with no tabs and an aluminum prop. It is also not a SV2 hull. With the right prop and a boat with tabs, that boat would easily pick up 2-3mph. I think Grady performance data with that engine would put that at 42mph for that boat and engine. For most boaters that is enough speed. Going to the 250 will make you go a little faster, but you also have to consider the added weight. The gain would likely put you about 2mph or so faster then the 200hpdi. Even though you add hp you add weight and the 250 will burn more fuel. Just depends on how fast you really want to go. Good luck on the decision.

gw204

Reaction score
Hole shot depends a lot on how hard you get on the throttles...

My 252G w/ 225 OX66 will hit the moon if I really get on it. However, I much prefer to lower the engines and tabs and ease it and let the boat come up slowly. I think that saves unnecessary wear and tear on the engines.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I agree with gw204..Gradys, either with 2-stroke or 4-strokes are not speedboats..They are for, well, you all know what they're for.

I have twin 200 4-strokes on my Gulfstream, and they have plenty of holeshot..Like gw204, I bring it up slow and gradual.

I had the same 2-vs.-4 stroke question when I bought my Gulfstream.
My longtime tech told me..
"If you put 400 horse on your Gulfstream, you'll have plenty of holeshot no matter if it's 2 or 4-strokes."

I originally wanted the HDPI's but I wanted them factory-rigged, and, as most know, Grady won't do that anymore with the 2-strokes.
So...I bought the 4's and I'm plenty happy.Great engines, plenty of ooommph when you want it.

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 - you said "We repowered our 1989 22 seafarer with a 200hp HPDI. Boat ran well and had plenty of power. Seemed like it had more power then the original carbed 225 evinrude. Unless you plan to run and gun, a 250 is not needed, also if you have an open transom, I would not go with anything heavier then the 200 HPDI. The four stroke would be completely out of the question on an open transom seafarer, and the weight of the 250 would be pushing it."

I have been looking new grady 226'S and most have the 4 stroke 250 on them and obviously they have open transoms. Has something changed with the newer models?

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Great topic.

I am getting ready to replace my '91 175 TXRP with a 2000 225 OX-66. I got a sweet deal on the 2000. While picking it up from the shipper this past Friday I asked how much did it weigh. Answer...670 pounds which included the pallet :shock:. My 175 is suppost to weigh 480 pounds and if my math is correct that is an additional 175 pounds (subtracting 25 pounds for the pallet weight). Grady White recommends for this year boat at staying around the 500 pound mark. I'm a little concerned about the weight since I also have a 15 HP Honda kicker motor mounted on the transom.

Do the 225 OX-66 really weigh that much?

Is this too much weight for my boat? It will be mounted on a Grady Drive bracket.

Thanks

HD

Korona

Reaction score
I put a 200 HPDI on my old (open transom) 22 Grady two years ago. After about 350 hours and many trips in and offshore in all imaginable conditions...I feel that this is the perfect motor for my boat. I'd say find a used 200 HPDI, buy the service manual, learn how to change all the filters and you'll be very happy.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The newer seafarers have been redesigned to handle the weight of the four strokes. Not only has more flotation been added, strength has been increased and the motor well was redesigned. The newer boats can handle a 4 stroke with no problem. I agree with many here, if you can find an HPDI, it is a great match for this boat. I love my four strokes but for that boat I do not think you can match a better motor to that hull. Grady is only selling four stroke boats now, as are many other dealers. Within a few years you will see few or no four strokes sold on new boats. This is purely for emissions reasons, not that they are better. Both style engine has its benefits and both have proven themselves. You really can not go wrong with either from a mechanical standpoint. I think Grady went to a 250 4 stroke to achieve similar stats as the 200 HPDI. The added weight needed more hp to offset it. Both boats will probably perform very similar. Go with the engine you feel more comfortable with, since you will be operating it and may do some maintenance, buy the engine you would feel comfortable with. Either way I don't think you can really regret this decision, it is a great boat and both motors are a good choice.