freedom 235 or 255?

PeteD

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am seriously considering a new purchase this fall, and am trying to decide between the Freedom 235 & the Freedom 255. Most of the time, I'll have 4-6 people on board, time equally split between pleasure boating & fishing outings with 3-4 fishing. Is there enough cockpit space to be bottom fishing off-shore for 4 guys on the 235? Best seating options? I know my wife would love the power lounge seat, but I'm concerned that eats up too much space. Also, the 235 comes with a single 300 yami, while twins are standard on the 255. I don't envision running more than 20-30 miles out, so don't necessarily need the extra power twins provide. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
With twins, the 255 weighs about 1,000 pounds more than the 235 with a F300. More weight usually means a more stable ride, all else being equal. The 235 with a single 300 will outperform the 255 with twin 150s. The 255 has 200s as options but i still expect the 235 with a single 300 to match or outperform the twins on a 255 due to extra total weight and added drag.
The layout of both boats is similar, there is just a tad more deck space on the 255. Due to its size, twins are an advantage for maneuverability such as when docking. Of course if trailering is needed the 255 will require a more expensive trailer and a vehicle with a larger towing capacity than the 235.

Either hull would work for you passengers, either lazing for 6 or more or casual fishing for 4 but it can get crowded depending on the fish and where they want to swim:) The 255 is probably a tad better for fishing but neither is idea for die-hard fishermen
I think that your decisions aren't just about the boat size but about the options. If it were me making a choice, I would want the electric head with holding tank. I prefer the twins as mentioned for maneuvering. I would chose the shore power and charger options as well. Then there are the options for rod holders, anchoring etc etc etc. The 235 may be more affordable when you add up the options.
FYI, kids and spouses like to have a toilet and you don't want to have to carry out a porta potty to dump it. Kids and spouses often like a place to change clothes so go look at the models and models and see if the head space will work for your family.

PeteD

Reaction score
With twins, the 255 weighs about 1,000 pounds more than the 235 with a F300. More weight usually means a more stable ride, all else being equal. The 235 with a single 300 will outperform the 255 with twin 150s. The 255 has 200s as options but i still expect the 235 with a single 300 to match or outperform the twins on a 255 due to extra total weight and added drag.
The layout of both boats is similar, there is just a tad more deck space on the 255. Due to its size, twins are an advantage for maneuverability such as when docking. Of course if trailering is needed the 255 will require a more expensive trailer and a vehicle with a larger towing capacity than the 235.

Either hull would work for you passengers, either lazing for 6 or more or casual fishing for 4 but it can get crowded depending on the fish and where they want to swim:) The 255 is probably a tad better for fishing but neither is idea for die-hard fishermen
I think that your decisions aren't just about the boat size but about the options. If it were me making a choice, I would want the electric head with holding tank. I prefer the twins as mentioned for maneuvering. I would chose the shore power and charger options as well. Then there are the options for rod holders, anchoring etc etc etc. The 235 may be more affordable when you add up the options.
FYI, kids and spouses like to have a toilet and you don't want to have to carry out a porta potty to dump it. Kids and spouses often like a place to change clothes so go look at the models and models and see if the head space will work for your family.
Thanks for your insight. I’m thinking the 235 is big enough for my intended use, but I do wonder how much of a hassle it will be to dock with the single motor. I will be storing the boat at a marina - they charge per foot, so smaller is cheaper, and obviously one motor costs less to maintain than two. Given the reliability of modern engines, I’m not overly concerned about one failing & limping home on the other, but don’t want to regret getting the single every time I dock the boat on a windy day. That said, I currently have a tri-toon Bennington pontoon which is arguably more difficult to dock than any Grady/bow rider, and I’ve managed to not wreck anything yet so maybe I’m just overthinking that issue?

Fishtales

Reaction score
If the smaller works, why not. Not going to have any more fun in the bigger boat and likely will cost more to keep. If you have the money and want a bigger ride can't go wrong with the larger one.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I often think about a bigger boat, then I look at my 226 and then the reality of the cost of owning a bigger boat sets in. Twin engines double the maintenance costs, slip space goes up, storage goes up etc. while twins might be easier to dock stern in singles can be done. I have Sea tow and that gives me price on mind when 10-20 miles off shore. If I were to get me a new boat it would be the 235 or the fisherman 236 with a 300 on back.

Reactions: PeteD

PeteD

Reaction score
If the smaller works, why not. Not going to have any more fun in the bigger boat and likely will cost more to keep. If you have the money and want a bigger ride can't go wrong with the larger one.
Oddly enough, a well equipped 235 runs close to a 255 in price, at least comparable enough. So the 255 may be a better value initially, but will cost more in the long run. You're spot on with with the fun per square foot comment!

tellch00

Reaction score
i remember my Grady dealer telling me 255 has never been a great seller. if someone wants something bigger than the 235 they go 275. i'm pretty sure the beam is the same. i bought a brand new 235 last year and very happy with it. i suck at docking too but usually get it in lol. we did not get the power lounge seat either as it did seem to take up a bit more space.

not sure if it's a plus or minus but the 235 has the newer swim platforms. if your wife/kids are on it they may like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteD

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
i remember my Grady dealer telling me 255 has never been a great seller. if someone wants something bigger than the 235 they go 275. i'm pretty sure the beam is the same. i bought a brand new 235 last year and very happy with it. i suck at docking too but usually get it in lol. we did not get the power lounge seat either as it did seem to take up a bit more space.

not sure if it's a plus or minus but the 235 has the newer swim platforms. if your wife/kids are on it they may like that.

Agreed. We own a 255 only because I stumbled upon a great deal that I could not pass up. We love our boat and it does pretty much everything we ask of it. But, if I had the budget for it, we would be in a 275 or better yet, a 330 Express. :)

NapTownGW255

Reaction score
I went with a 255 and single 300. I boat in the Chesapeake and everyone told me the best ride over Bay chop is 25' or longer. I was in a friend's 225 and the ride was rough whereas my 255 was significantly more comfortable. So it depends on the type of water you'll be in. BTW, the 300 provides plenty of power for two of us and a dog. With four or more I'd have gone with twin engines.