Freedom 255 DC

Frank

Reaction score
It does look nice, and I was glad to see the cockpit has 60 sq feet. Too bad there aren't any pictures with the hardtop and the boat being used in the ocean. I wonder what it will look like with twins. At 4500 lbs, I imagine you will want the Yamaha 300 to or twin 150s push it. Also, the need to get some performance numbers up.

striped bass

Reaction score
I agree that the new Yamaha 300 would be perfect for the 255. The Freedom 255 would probably perform better with the lighter 300 compared to the 350, i.e. really fly and use less gas.
Since the 255 uses the same hull as the Journey 258 and Advance 257 the performance stats would probably be very similar.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Be careful with the new F300, there is a lot of new technology in this engine that ONLY TIME ON THE WATER will prove out. I know that Yamaha has a good track record but it is far from perfect i.e. the 300HP HPDI among others.
I am always skeptical about purchasing the largest displacement in a block series. When you look at factors like the break mean effective pressure on a crank shaft and bearings over a range from 200 to 300 HP I will buy the 200 hp all day long as it will be so over designed. But on the 300 HP side the designers will be looking to keep the factor of safety as low as they can.

I have no specific knowledge about the new 300 HP Yamaha and my roll of the dice with the F350 has worked out so far. All I am saying here is if you are one of the first to buy this engine make sure you get a six year warranty. If it the six year warranty was not available on the F350 I would have twin 150's on my boat and not the F350.

I agree that the concept of the F300 is very attractive with its weight to hp ratio it has the potential to be a grand slam and reshape the outboard market. If this engine proves out to be a strong performer I see no future for the F350 as its weight will never be overcome the 50 additional HP when compared to the new F300.

striped bass

Reaction score
Tashmoo:
Well put. Wait and see is the best approach. Let's hope the new 300 hp works out. I am still waiting for Pursuit to post actual pics of its new DC and the engine options.
Happy Memorial Day to all!

mronzo

Reaction score
It's a sweet looking boat for sure! Can you get it with twins?
I have a 265 so I wouldn't need something so close in length!
I'd like the 20' or 22' DC!

Bama96

Reaction score
I am not impressed. No more room than the 225. It looks like a 225 with a Euro transom. The closed transom and bracket are better IMO. I guess you gain a longer running surface and some beam with this model.

Frank

Reaction score
Really good point on the new F300 until it is proven, which will leave quite a dilemma for a purchaser of a 4,000+ boat such as the new Fisherman 230 or the 25s (Advance, Journey, Freedom). It will run better with the 300 but the old 250 will be a safer choice.

Frank

Reaction score
striped bass said:
Tashmoo:
Well put. Wait and see is the best approach. Let's hope the new 300 hp works out. I am still waiting for Pursuit to post actual pics of its new DC and the engine options.
Happy Memorial Day to all!
Do you know if the Pursuit is an 8'6" beam or did they make it wider? To me, a 25-26' boat with a beam of 9" or a couple of inches wider is ideal but there don't seem to be many being made any more. That 6 or 8 inched in width over the 8'6" sure adds a lot of usable room.

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Freedom 255

Hi Fellows
Our new Freedom 255 with new 300 hp and the new digital command link system screen rather than the two guages will be in the water June 11th. We have the first one in Canada and time will tell if we made the right choice with all the "firsts" we are getting, but we feel very confident that if there are issues Grady, Yamaha and our great dealer Desmasdons will be there for us. We have the hardtop, electric helm seat station, windlass, full canvas including drop curtain, livewell, etc.etc. We hope that this will be our last boat (where have you heard that before) so got her equiped the way we wanted. Went with the Humminbird 1197 c SI Comdo plotter/gps which fills up the entire space for electronics. She is a big boat compared to our 185 and my first impressions when I saw her the other day were "wow" I hope she handles as good as she looks. If people are interested I will post pictures of "Bukster" in the water, likely in two weeks.
Bukster

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Bama96 said:
I am not impressed. No more room than the 225. It looks like a 225 with a Euro transom. The closed transom and bracket are better IMO. I guess you gain a longer running surface and some beam with this model.
Bama,
I can't agree with you about there being no more room. The 255 cockpit is 60 sq ft where you and I have 49 sq ft. The beam is 8'5" where we have 8'. The centerline length is 24' 8" where we have 22' 2". Those all add up to more room.

Bama96

Reaction score
capt chris said:
Bama96 said:
Bama,
I can't agree with you about there being no more room. The 255 cockpit is 60 sq ft where you and I have 49 sq ft. The beam is 8'5" where we have 8'. The centerline length is 24' 8" where we have 22' 2". Those all add up to more room.

The center line includes the Euro transom. So shave off 2'6". The Cockpit SF is trivial. 11 SF? Not enough difference in my mind. I guess they are about to drop the 225 Tournament. It might be one of the best selling Grady's of all time and it is about to expire. I love mine and it is perfect for my family. I just hate the Euro transom as it is a waste. Just my opinion.