Freedom 255 Power Options???

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Folks, am considering getting a 255 after shedding my current GW Freedom. Concerned the single 300 will leave me unhappy with respect to out of the hole shots (tend to run boat with couple of families and loaded down with coolers) and am curious about a single 350. Doesn't seem like the dealers bring them in that way and instead they seem to choose a single 300 or twin 150s. Not opposed to twins but the single 350 seems attractive in some ways. Just curious if folks have strong opinions as it'll be hard for me to find a 255 with a 350 to trial.

dbk123

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have been looking at the Freedom 235 and 255 as well and have been leaning toward the 235 as I have the same concern that you in that the 255 with a single 300 is going to be underpowered - particularly with a full load onboard. There is an interesting thread on thehulltruth discussing the status of the 350 motor. Seems like most of the initial problems have been worked out. Curious to know which Freedom you had previously.

seasick

Reaction score
. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a boat with a 350. Perhaps after several years of no issues, maybe but that would depend a lot on Yamaha openness about the issue.
As to the discussion on THT, that forum has some good and some really bad info. Although Yamaha has been offering 'lifetime' coverage for loose flywheels, That doesn't make me feel better. They have not been all that customer driven lately with design defects. I am not sure how widespread the 350 issue is, there aren't a lot of them in my area.

Reactions: Toddwein

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks folks. My current Freedom is a 275 and just a bit too much for me. Great running boat though. About three years old and figure I’ll try and swap now and try a different size. 235 has a lot to offer. I was also looking at the 255 because the Grady website shows a top speed of about 46 mph without a hard top on that 235 model. Don’t care too much about top end speed but wasn’t sure if it would be a bit sluggish getting out of the water. Figured the 255 with either the 350 or twins might give a bit more pep for a full load of people. I just need to get into both and ride around. Since it doesn’t seem like there are many boats out there with the single 350 I think I’m going to dispense with that idea.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are two engines I would never buy again. The 2002-05 F225(currently own one) and the 350. Looking at the Grady web page the best option IMOP would be twin 150’s or twin 200’s, single 300 seems slow side. The 235 with a 300 wound be better but dropping down three feet in your situation might not fit tour needs.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm with mmiela, and twin 200's on the 255 would be my choice. I also own a F225, 2004 vintage with the exhaust replaced, so far so good. As with the F350, I'm still not convinced that the issues have been rectified. The newer F250 and F300 seem to be the go to motors in the larger displacement and the F150 and F200 the go to on the smaller displacement.

Fishtales

Reaction score
. Personally, I wouldn't purchase a boat with a 350. Perhaps after several years of no issues, maybe but that would depend a lot on Yamaha openness about the issue.
As to the discussion on THT, that forum has some good and some really bad info. Although Yamaha has been offering 'lifetime' coverage for loose flywheels, That doesn't make me feel better. They have not been all that customer driven lately with design defects. I am not sure how widespread the 350 issue is, there aren't a lot of them in my area.

I agree. Get the twins.

Jargon

Reaction score
Thanks folks. My current Freedom is a 275 and just a bit too much for me. Great running boat though. About three years old and figure I’ll try and swap now and try a different size. 235 has a lot to offer. I was also looking at the 255 because the Grady website shows a top speed of about 46 mph without a hard top on that 235 model. Don’t care too much about top end speed but wasn’t sure if it would be a bit sluggish getting out of the water. Figured the 255 with either the 350 or twins might give a bit more pep for a full load of people. I just need to get into both and ride around. Since it doesn’t seem like there are many boats out there with the single 350 I think I’m going to dispense with that idea.
How is it a bit too much for you? How is it powered? I’m looking to get one myself.

Jargon

Reaction score
I'm with mmiela, and twin 200's on the 255 would be my choice. I also own a F225, 2004 vintage with the exhaust replaced, so far so good. As with the F350, I'm still not convinced that the issues have been rectified. The newer F250 and F300 seem to be the go to motors in the larger displacement and the F150 and F200 the go to on the smaller displacement.
Agreed 100%

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
How is it a bit too much for you? How is it powered? I’m looking to get one myself.
Storage and trailering. I don’t keep it on the lift unless I have to do so or am using it. It’s a big rig that fills out many of the barns nearby. The 200s will push its fine. This is all great info-appreciate it. I think I’m done thinking about the 350...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2018 Marlin with 350’s and couldn’t be happier. The V8 torque and power is amazing and I would buy them again if that scenario ever came up.

I’ve already
Storage and trailering. I don’t keep it on the lift unless I have to do so or am using it. It’s a big rig that fills out many of the barns nearby. The 200s will push its fine. This is all great info-appreciate it. I think I’m done thinking about the 350...

I have 2018 350’s on my Marlin and love them. The power&torque of the V8 is amazing. I get the flywheels changed on my 100 hr service and they’re free for life. I don’t even think about it; I get a grouper sandwich while the service is being performed and go on.

I’d buy another pair tomorrow but hopefully I won’t have to. I understand the concerns, but I have no regrets.

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2018 Marlin with 350’s and couldn’t be happier. The V8 torque and power is amazing and I would buy them again if that scenario ever came up.

I’ve already

I have 2018 350’s on my Marlin and love them. The power&torque of the V8 is amazing. I get the flywheels changed on my 100 hr service and they’re free for life. I don’t even think about it; I get a grouper sandwich while the service is being performed and go on.

I’d buy another pair tomorrow but hopefully I won’t have to. I understand the concerns, but I have no regrets.

Thanks for the response. The Marlin is an awesome boat and I bet it does have impressive torque with twin 350s.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Indeed it is. It's a real revalation when you've run V4's & V6's in the past.

My intention was not to complicate things but to let you know that I've been very happy with mine. I was told the potential problems beforehand and was assured by reliable techs and Yamaha themselves that replacing the flywheels when the "maintenance" window popped up on the instrument display was the fix. They told me the 350's run incredibly well and are dependable and that has certainly been the case after a year and a half of ownership and near 200 hrs of use.

I would buy them again tomorrow.

Whatever you decide, I hope the result translates into many happy hours at the helm.