Freedom 275 Bow Thruster

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Have a new model FRD275 and continue to struggle with docking in annoying winds (certainly user error at play but that is NOT modifiable...). Engines can be retrofitted with the new YAM full maneuverability package ($$$). Apparently a bow thruster can be installed ($). Thoughts on adding a bow thruster to your beautiful GWs??? Many out there done that and if so satisfied???

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I honestly believe a bow thruster would be overkill for a 28’ boat. I drive a 154’ boat for work and have had to moor in breezy conditions when our bow thruster was inoperable. It takes different approaches depending on the wind direction, but with a little practice you can still moor pretty easily especially with an extra hand that is quick on lines.
I previously had an 18’ boat that had much less sail area than my Adventure 208 due to the hardtop and canvas. Despite not seeming like a huge difference, it took some getting used to on windy days as I had to account for the winds really catching my boat in odd ways.

The trick for me on windier days if it’s blowing off the dock is to take a wider angle for your approach and use a spring line to get the stern in.

Are you regularly mooring in a very tight marina/ dock, or trailering at a ramp?

If it’s a new boat to you, I’d give it a little more time before jumping to such a huge project.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Koakine, I have watched a few of the big center console boats with 3 or 4 big motors jockeying around inside the marina getting up to the fuel dock using that joy stick set up where the computer controls everything. It disturbs the whole basin. Muddies up the water, all the boats tied up nearby are bobbing up and down and lotsa noise. Not good. And I'm sure it's very hard on the wallet initially. The bow thruster is a much better piece of equipment but I'm with Koakine that for a 28 foot boat it shouldn't need to be used much. If it is there though you will use it. Anyone would. One more complicated system to maintain. I worked on the water for years like Koakine and learning to use spring lines to get in tight to the dock is some very useful knowledge. It makes you look sharp if you have a mate that you can drop off by nosing up against the current or wind and he takes a line with him that is already made up to your "working cleat" and makes it fast on the dock cleat of your choice. Then without muss or fuss and no exchange of words you will look like a pro.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I think a bow thruster is something for boats 30' or more in length.

I have a Freedom 275 with a single F350. I can dock it fine, no need for a bow thruster. The only time I struggled was when I was tied to the windward side of a dock, with boats in front and behind me, trying to depart on my own in high (20 MPH) winds. The big bow and full enclosure on my 275 really caught the wind and pinned me against the dock.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a Vetus bow thruster on my 268 Islander. Best modification I did to my boat. The lighter boats are extremely sensitive to wind. My boat is nearly impossible to turn in a tight space. Check this thread out: https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/islander-bow-thruster.26202/page-2

GW has built the bow thruster tunnel into the hull mold on the newer models. May not be a big deal to install a Side Power thruster. Probably wiring a bigger issue. Check with GW customer service and your dealer. My thread above details my install on a older 268 Islander.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dhirsh

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks folks. All helpful responses. I definitely need to keep practicing with the twin engines in breezy conditions and I’m going to familiarize myself with spring lines.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think a bow thruster is something for boats 30' or more in length.

I have a Freedom 275 with a single F350. I can dock it fine, no need for a bow thruster. The only time I struggled was when I was tied to the windward side of a dock, with boats in front and behind me, trying to depart on my own in high (20 MPH) winds. The big bow and full enclosure on my 275 really caught the wind and pinned me against the dock.
That is another example of a time that a spring line can make you look sharp. They can be used to bring you into the dock or take you away. If the spring line is to go with the boat it will be rigged as a "slip line". If the line belongs to the dock, it can be used single. If you are ever around a commercial dock or fueling station and get a chance to bend the ear of a tug captain or mate, ask them some questions. Their a good bunch and they like whiskey.;)

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
personally, i wouldn't buy a boat without one. i've been boating most all my life and you come to fully realize that boats don't drive like cars. a while back i read about them working on a system for small boats; kinda like a little puffer system.

only my own opinion. like the meme (paraphrased) says "i don't always use my thruster, but when i do it works" :)

good luck, ron

and keep practicing no matter what. that's how you always improve.

Reactions: Dhirsh

tellch00

Reaction score
Not sure if this is applicable or similar issue to the OP, but maybe a thought. I'm a relatively new boater and on my 2nd GW. Bought a brand new 2018 Freedom 235 and always struggle docking. sometimes it's good other times terrible. I just don't think i'm all that good lol. Anyway, hired someone to spend some time with me recently. He's an experienced boater and runs a part time charter fishing boat (33 ft). Anyway, we went into a marina to practice and I was having a tough time moving the boat around and getting it into a slip.

This guy can put a boat anywhere and has had all kinds of boats. he took over to show me and he was shocked at how unresponsive and difficult it was to move the boat around. He finally got it but he thought it was really tough and not surprised that i'm having a hard time around a dock. he had once had a boat that acted similar and he ended up changing his 3 blade prop to a 4. said it helped tremendously. did some research and spoke with my mechanic and others and ordered something. turnaround is around 4 weeks unfortunately but can't hurt to try it. maybe it will improve things a bit. if not, or any adverse effect i'll just change it back.

Yamama04107

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
What helps me on windy days is get the stern line secured first, then slowly put it in forward and turn the wheel away from the dock. The bow will then drift in to the dock, allowing you to secure the bow. when leaving a crowded dock like a fuel dock, I always back out completely letting the boat spin in a circle until the bow is pointing in the direction I want to move. My stern never hits the dock with this method as it does by leaving going forward. My boat is a 255 with a single 350.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I love my bow thruster In my 33 and its the first boat I’ve ever owned with one. I would not hesitate to add one to a 275. Grady hulls ride high off the water and have plenty of windage. It will make your docking easier without a doubt and they aren’t that big a deal to have installed. If it makes you a more confident boater and adds value to your experience, do it. You will never lose money on a bow thruster on re-sale either.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So explain to me how you back a 27' narrow beam GW with twins into a slip with a spring line. In a light crosswind by the time you get lined up and start back into the slip the bow has come around any you are 90 degrees to the dock. This is more of a small boat problem. I completely disagree that a bow thruster is for 30' plus boats only! Bigger boats have more weight, draw more water, wider beams to spread motors out and respond to the wind slower. I have owned bigger boats with twin inboards - I could put that boat anywhere you wanted it - not so with my little outboard.

Joy-stick controls - now that's a stupid idea. My Yamaha mechanic told me he would never own one - they beat the crap out of the gear cases. God help you when they come out of warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElyseM

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I’m definitely no Einstein. I didn’t even consider the fact that this spring I’ve been using the front / side canvas components for the first time. Never used them with my last 275. My inadequacy docking the boat alone certainly the biggest factor in my frustration but spring winds, dock/lift location being exposed on a point, and the canvas components adding to the sail effect probably also exacerbating the situation. Canvas components going to come off and will see if I can make myself look a bit more smooth.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
yarbrowm:

Explaining docking techniques is almost impossible with the typed word. I tried once and it turned into a book that was too long to read & absorb.I will briefly give the advice that helped me the most. Before executing your maneuver into the slip, especially if your sterning in, center the wheel and LEAVE IT ALONE. Maneuver with engines only in close quarters.

It will cost a fraction of what a thruster or a Helmmaster Joystick would cost to hire a Captain who has docked a million times and have him show you the tricks & nuances with twins essential to a successful ending. You and your gelcoat will be happy when you get the hang of it. You can utilize combos of spring lines, etc, but at the end of the day, you need to be able to dock the Beast using the twins without lines. You can do it, and you'll feel like a Rockstar when it comes together. Eric Clapton didn't become the guitarist and songwriter he is in his first few months. This crap takes time.

There is no substitute for just doing it. After your session with the Captain, take a whole day, pack a cooler and find a DESERTED area with no people shouting advice to you on the finger pier that is neither needed or wanted.

Admittedy, there are some days when it's blowing so hard that nothing works. Overall, however, you should be able to come and go without drama. If your are is just too problematic between current & wind, maybe another location should be considered? After all, it needs to be fun.

Reactions: yarbrowm

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I ran across this video the other day when I was researching the use of Spring Lines … very helpful to see a GW master at work:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's something to keep in mind, if your line handler is onboard, as in the second scenario, instead of staying on the dock. When you let that spring line fall all the way to the dock boards, and then come tight on it, it can wedge between the planks and the piling, un-noticed. Now you're backing away, in a wind and current, and your mate can't get the line free. Your choices are, to try to re-dock in those conditions, or toss the line on the dock and leave it. If it's a transient dock, you may be kissing it good-bye.
I prefer to spring off a dock cleat, or keep the line off the dock, if using a piling.