Freezer plates 33 express

Lucky13

Reaction score
End of this season the freezer plates on my large fish box at the stern stopped working. the one at the helm used for bait or drinks worked but It was freezing everything I could not keep it cold without freezing everything. I have an 07 so it was the year before they build them in behind the fiberglass they are the exposed plates. Anyone had this issue or know what the problem might be?

Thanks

rjriordan

Reaction score
Had a similar problem on our 305 Express years ago.....in the end it turned out to be a control panel/thermostat issue. However, running both chilled boxes was always a challenge, mainly because not enough BTU from the single A/C compressor.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Do the cool plates run off the Air Conditioner it a separate system? What brand?
My 305 didn't have them but I may like to add them.

LJG

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
As RJ said, it could be the t-stat/ control panel. Also it could be low on refridgerant. The evaporator on an ac system will freeze up if low on refridgerant. Good luck

Lucky13

Reaction score
As RJ said, it could be the t-stat/ control panel. Also it could be low on refridgerant. The evaporator on an ac system will freeze up if low on refridgerant. Good luck
if it was low then the ac and the helm box would not be working right?

LJG

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Yes, if they are all running off the same condenser, which I suspect they are. Helm air temp should be 20-25 degrees cooler than the ambient temp. If that is the case, the compressor, refrigerant charge and condenser components are most likely ok. Check the control circuit. Sorry I do not have a similar system to be more specific. I have a working knowledge of HVAC systems.

dude23455

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm not familiar with the exact systems in use here. but I work with marine AC and refrigeration regularly.
I would think that the fish box plates and the AC are 2 separate systems. this is because a single system cannot produce both freezing temperatures for the fish box, and above freezing temp for the AC.
so, what we should have is a low temperature system for the fish box, most likely a small DC compressor running r134a with an air cooled condensor. and a separate AC powered compressor running r410a with water cooled condensor/heat exchanger.

so if the fish box is not getting cold. I would check in the following order.
1. check to see if the compressor is turning on.
a. if yes move to 2
b. if no, check thermostat continuity. if thermostat is good, check controller
2. check is condensor has a cooling fan. is it working? if yes then check charge of the system.

let me know if I can help more.

Lucky13

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the exact systems in use here. but I work with marine AC and refrigeration regularly.
I would think that the fish box plates and the AC are 2 separate systems. this is because a single system cannot produce both freezing temperatures for the fish box, and above freezing temp for the AC.
so, what we should have is a low temperature system for the fish box, most likely a small DC compressor running r134a with an air cooled condensor. and a separate AC powered compressor running r410a with water cooled condensor/heat exchanger.

so if the fish box is not getting cold. I would check in the following order.
1. check to see if the compressor is turning on.
a. if yes move to 2
b. if no, check thermostat continuity. if thermostat is good, check controller
2. check is condensor has a cooling fan. is it working? if yes then check charge of the system.

let me know if I can help more.
I agree they must be separate systems and my AC is working fine. My challenge is the helm freezer box is working. well is getting cold but not responding to the set temp it just goes right to freezing. so the helm box with freezer plate goes to freezing even if i have it set at above freezing and the fish box at the transom does not cool down at all

dude23455

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree they must be separate systems and my AC is working fine. My challenge is the helm freezer box is working. well is getting cold but not responding to the set temp it just goes right to freezing. so the helm box with freezer plate goes to freezing even if i have it set at above freezing and the fish box at the transom does not cool down at all
if one is working and the other is not I would suspect they are separate systems. do they have have separate switches to turn them on and off?

with the helm box. is it a digital controller or a mechanical thermostat with a knob?

and with the fish box. you'll need to follow the steps in my other post to diagnose.

teaklejr

Reaction score
Does the control panel allow you to adjust the temp to fish box cooler? On our 305 express the control panel would not change when I tried to adjust it and could just stay on and freeze up. I replaced that controller and now it works fine. Contact this company who makes the control panel they were super helpful.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Does the control panel allow you to adjust the temp to fish box cooler? On our 305 express the control panel would not change when I tried to adjust it and could just stay on and freeze up. I replaced that controller and now it works fine. Contact this company who makes the control panel they were super helpful.

thank you the helm one does that so maybe, hopefully both controls just need to be replaced and teh rear one will work too?