fresh water pump on 228

fathergoose

Reaction score
I have a 2009 228 and I am having problems with my fresh water system. The pump was running continuously and I was only getting spits and spurts so I cleaned the strainer, which was full of crap, and now the pump with not come on. It is getting power since I can feel it vibrating but the pump will not come on when I squeeze the nozzle. Is there a reset button or something? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Double check that the nozzle/aerator is not all gummed up with crap. If it's blocked up, that could possibly explain it. Otherwise, have you tried rapping the side of the pump while someone holds the nozzle open?

fathergoose

Reaction score
Double check that the nozzle/aerator is not all gummed up with crap. If it's blocked up, that could possibly explain it. Otherwise, have you tried rapping the side of the pump while someone holds the nozzle open?

Thanks for the reply. I tried it with the aerator unscrewed and it did the same thing. I will try to rap the side of the pump and see what happens.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Another thought - just to possibly eliminate any other blockages that could be along the way - disconnect the output line of the pump and see if water flows out. But it sounds like a jammed motor/pump (that's trying to turn, but can't) - you shouldn't be feeling anything "vibrating" if there is no demand for water.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the O-ring /gasket under the cover of the filter screen you cleaned to make sure it is in place properly. Also, it is not unusual for the cover to crack from age. Any leaks on the suction side of the pump will result in the pump sucking air and will not pump water. You can remove the hose from the pump side of the strainer and put that end in a bucket of water to eliminated possible leaks. The pump should get a clear supply of water and produce flow.

fathergoose

Reaction score
Check the O-ring /gasket under the cover of the filter screen you cleaned to make sure it is in place properly. Also, it is not unusual for the cover to crack from age. Any leaks on the suction side of the pump will result in the pump sucking air and will not pump water. You can remove the hose from the pump side of the strainer and put that end in a bucket of water to eliminated possible leaks. The pump should get a clear supply of water and produce flow.

I'll check this, it could be the issue since it seems to me that the pump has lost it's prime.

HMBJack

Reaction score
My guess - since you said your strainer was full of crap, when you cleaned it out - perhaps a little bit of that crap went into your pump thus jamming it. So, I would focus on un-jamming it somehow (remove and bench test it somehow). If it still doesn't pump, I'd replace it. A jammed pump could (should) blow fuses, melt wires or cause an electrical fire. Like you and me - pumps don't last forever...