Frozen Outriggers

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I've acquired an older set of 15' Perko collapsable outriggers ... which are frozen. I've tried soaking joints with every corrosion breaker in the free world, all to no avail. Any suggestions on heat or some other method that won't result in crushing ... :?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you'll find that you have to soak the entire outrigger in order to break the corrosion bond. Soaking the joints won't do it, as you've found.

Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Probably wreck them with flame heat, since aluminum. Wouldn't do it.

Perhaps boiling water.

The dried up salt needs to be solftened.

NO REGRETS

Reaction score
Dont waste your time, if they are stuck, they will never loosen up to where the springs to colapse them will work.I have tossed a set after beating them to death out of frustration!!!!Just consider them fixed and use them !! :wink: :wink:

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have attempted the heat them up method with lousy results. I destroyed them in the process. I agree with the others, I don't think you'll ever get them apart if there more than five years old or so and were used around saltwater.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the screw together type and I tried PBplaster, heat and pipe wrenches until destruction with only one or two loosening up. As a preventative I read to use antisieze on them. I don't know about the telescopic variety. Spray em with WD 40 or spray lube often and exercise them?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I got my lees they were frozen togther, took the whole summer to get them apart using wd40 and deep creep without destroying them. but I did break on of the threaded ends
Before putting them back togther and on the boat I gave them a liberal amount of woodys wax all over every thing.

they came apart just fine after 3 months in salt water.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Vinegar will disolve salt deposits but the corrosion is probably what's really causing the problem. Hey you have a free pair of fixed 15' poles!

ttles714

Reaction score
best penetating oil

KROIL from Kano Labs in Tennesee

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
PB Blaster is the best for getting things unstuck...it got our salt spreaders at work which were left caked in salt all summer freed up. It is a must around a boat, if that doesn't work junk them!!! I would not heat them, it will break the coating off at the very least and leave them to corrode even worse damage them so they so not work at all.