Frustrated with grady deck...

amr72

Reaction score
In order to access my pumps and filters and oil tanks, etc.. I have to work through a small hatch that was added by the previous owner in the rear deck panel that sits just forward of my transom gate. If I need to really work down there...like I do now because of an ethanol problem and frequent inspection/changing of my fuel-water filters (don't ask), I have to unscrew and unbed that rear deck section. Who in their right mind wants to be cauking and recauking the same hatch over and over again? It's insanity. Anyway I was thinking of installing a hatch that could be opened easily instead of this mess. Anybody know of a custom shop that could fabricate one for me?

bhemi

Reaction score
Deck Hatches

Look on the internet. I darn did the same thing on my Marlin. Access to my generator and the thru hulls is bad. I hate lying on my belly while holding a flashlight to see anything.

http://www.gotohmg.com/products.cfm this site caught my eye on a quick search.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not familar with the transdom setup on your model's hull, but I have certainly experienced your frustration at having to recaulk the back deck every time you have to do some serious work in there.
As far as the fuel filters go my 265 had them in separate compartments in the cockpit corners, looks nice, but, right next to the batteries .......and tucked away behind the fuel cocks. niot easy to check visually, and very difficult to access particularly if you had a stubborn element to replace.
Last year i was having frequent fuel probs and therefore filter issues.

My remendy was to relocate the racors in the outboard well just outside where they had been initially. Much safer and easier to check the bowls as well as simple to access for changing and emptying.

I was able to use all of the existing hoses and for the sake of 1 hours work I couldn't be happier with the result; should have done it earlier.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My buddy's Parker has an OEM flip up aftermarket type plastic hatch in the deck back tere, just a slight height to it, get used to it being there. It has nice rounded edges not to catch the shoes or toes.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe something like this.Its flush with the floor and watertight

Deck%20Hatch.jpg

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I still believe you need to be able to check your fuel bowl condition at a glance. If it's out of sight........

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Haydn; post a picture if you can. Your modification was a great job!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Got back last night. Long haul for the Grady. Fishing was marginal. Mostly bottom fishing dominated by small sharks, but what the heck the kids loved it. The weather killed us, but it was a great opportunity to use the sirus weather module, it earned its place thats for sure! Time for some Tuna fishing!