Fuel Before Winter Layup

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You should drain carburetor bowls and VSTs during prolonged storage. Since they are open to air, the fuel will eventually evaporate leaving varnish on the dry surfaces.

Some anti-corrosion additives work better than others. Since the industry won't allow testing by independent labs, we have to rely on experience and word of mouth recommendations.

Fuel injectors seem to go out of spec pretty often when boats are not run regularly. It's just the nature of small orifices.

StaBil has been on the market for 60 years. I’ve been using it in my car collection for 25 years. Seems to do the job. They probably all have the same stuff in them? You can buy Lucas fuel conditioner by the Gal which is a deal when you have 350 gal tanks.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most all use similar chemistries for the most part. Anti-oxidants and metal inactivators slow down fuel oxidation. But they seem to use different anti-corrosion approaches. For example, the "plus" in the Yamaha additives are filmers that bind to soft metal surfaces and block corrosion. These were originally used in the automotive applications to prevent corrosion of fuel level sensors until E10 was re-formulated. There are several different filmer chemistries that are used in the oil field and refining industries. Some are more effective than others. You never know what you're getting with a particular brand of fuel stabilizer.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Most all use similar chemistries for the most part. Anti-oxidants and metal inactivators slow down fuel oxidation. But they seem to use different anti-corrosion approaches. For example, the "plus" in the Yamaha additives are filmers that bind to soft metal surfaces and block corrosion. These were originally used in the automotive applications to prevent corrosion of fuel level sensors until E10 was re-formulated. There are several different filmer chemistries that are used in the oil field and refining industries. Some are more effective than others. You never know what you're getting with a particular brand of fuel stabilizer.

If my Dad was still around. I could have him send them off to the Exxon Labs. He did that with 2 cycle oils after his new 225 Johnson blew up back in the late 80’s. OMC tried to negate his warranty. It was humorous to say the least. With the help of his Boss. Manny Piralta, Pres. Exxon aResearch and Engineering (boater). They destroyed OMC’s argument and threatened a class action suit. I was the Johnson Dealer at the time. I thought they would never sell me another engine! Instead they sent him a brand new engine. He had used Mercury’s oil instead of OMC’s.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here is a great video on ethanol vs non ethanol. Non ethanol is definitely a better bet if you can get it.

grady23

Reaction score
In the spring As a safeguard, I dis-connect my fuel line at the engine and use my primer pump to pump out about 2qts of fuel into a clear container. Usually use an old windshield washer container. Let the fuel settle for a short time, about 15 minutes and if there is any water at the bottom, it will show itself. Install fresh fuel filter(s )once the fuel shows no signs of water contamination.

JAdams1

Reaction score
I am storing with my 82 gallon tank full. My fuel is treated with Ring Free and Startron at the recommended doses. Do I need to add Sta-bil in addition or am I good to go.. Thanks.

Update: Double dosed Startron for winter layup. Ring Free at normal concentration.

Last edited: