Fuel fill hose replacement.

Joe Desiderio

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Hi, I was looking for the easiest way to replace the vent and fill hoses on my 1992 Explorer and cutting a 4" access hole in the gunnel, attaching the new and old hoses with a dowel and pulling them through seems like the best way to do it. I will tackle it in the Spring when I uncover the boat. Thanks for the info.

Timcan

Reaction score
I’m in the process of installing a new main tank and replacing all hoses. I don’t think you need to cut an access hole especially if you only have a main fuel tank. You can do all the work accessing it under the gunnel.

Attachments

• 731DFAB4-4860-4CB2-945E-A44F67FCB1BD.jpeg
    731DFAB4-4860-4CB2-945E-A44F67FCB1BD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • A889C8B7-24AE-4BA5-A618-A4A854CE5F08.jpeg
    A889C8B7-24AE-4BA5-A618-A4A854CE5F08.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
choose only a hose specifically made for petrol fuel and one that is very durable and will be somewhat rigid. Fuel is nothing to play around with. Inferior lines can fail for different reasons. Gasoline will slowly disolve certain plastics/rubber types. Fuel line should say it fuel line right on the hose.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I swapped my fuel fill hose a couple years ago. It was deteriorating badly with holes near the fitting at the gunwale . It leaked every time I went to fill it up. While I was at it I changed the vent hose too. I had it done in an afternoon or so. I removed the tank lid to do it so I could easily fish the new hoses in there . I bought my boat new in 2009 so I wouldn't be trusting old hoses like that personally. Do both at the same time and know it's done and done right .

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
choose only a hose specifically made for petrol fuel and one that is very durable and will be somewhat rigid. Fuel is nothing to play around with. Inferior lines can fail for different reasons. Gasoline will slowly disolve certain plastics/rubber types. Fuel line should say it fuel line right on the hose.
To add to your comment dissolved hose materials eventually end up at the motor and the filters . Some may get through . You don't want more particulates in your fuel system to boot.

MikeyThumbs

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Is it easier to pull both fill/vent at the same time or would it be easiest to do one than the other? I’m going to tackle this project hopefully this weekend