Fuel Guage

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Our new to us 1983 Tournament has a fuel guage and it works. We have had the boat out a few times now and did a long run the other day. The fuel guage said I was at half a tank when we got in. When I went to fill it up it only took five gallons. I was told it has 20 gallon tank. I will continue to watch the movement but is this common?

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know if that tank is 20 gallons but in general, the fuel gauge reading is all relative. On my Grady, it reads 'empty' when there are 20 gallons left. Since the tanks are usually not that deep, the readings are greatly influenced by the angle of the boat. Move forward and watch the level get lower. Move aft and watch the level increase. You just have to learn how to interpret the reading taking all factors into account.
Now if I could enjoy a day of boating and only burn 5 gallons of fuel, I would go out more often:)

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Seasick, You are right. Today we went out for the day and it went to a half quickly but then went slower after that. When I filled up it took 11 gallons.