fuel issues

valdimar

Reaction score
have a '90 yamaha 200 on my Tournament 225. I have an inline filter/water separator which I change out every spring. I probably carried 40 gal. of 10% ethanol blended gas over the winter. Was lucky last year: I topped off tank with high test and had no problem. Should I also consider adding drygas to last fall's fuel to absorb excess water? I use that stuff on all my small engines in minute quantities and never had a problem, but I don't want to fry an outboard. What should I do?

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Can you get lucky and try to add new gas- anything is possible.

Do you add any type of fuel stabilizer before you let it sit? Startron is what I use in my boats and have never had an issue.

Dry gas is usually alcohol. Adding more alcohol to your already alcohol laced fuel is not the best option.

Best for your engine: Get all the old gas out and start with new. List that you are giving away 40 gal of old gas and some sucker will come take it away for you. Add some type of fuel stabilizer (once again startron) because this ethanol "gas" is crap.

Also, be prepared for the engine to spit and sputter when you try to get on plane. UNtreated gas sitting in carbs all winter long usually means a carb rebuild in the spring.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the gas was treated and the o-ring on the fill doesn't leak, you'll be fine. If you have clear bowls on your filter/water separator, you will see if there was any phase separation but if you ran OK last year I wouldn't worry. The headaches were when you first changed over to E-10 and you seem to be past that hurdle.

seasick

Reaction score
Dry Gas wont do anything. Since your 40 gallons of fuel already contains 4 gallons of ethanol, adding a pint or two of additional alcohol won't help.
As long as you don't have excessive water in the current fuel, you should be OK.
If the motor starts up, run it for a bit and then check the water separator and fuel bowls. If no visible water, fill up your tank with new gas and you will be fine.

valdimar

Reaction score
I did add some Startron before hauling it home from Brigantine. Hopefully mixed well on that ride. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
It would have been better to add the Startron before winter layup. Adding it now won't do any harm, but any fuel degradation that took place won't be reversed.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys, do your self a favor and add Startron on EVERY fill up you do, i've been doing this since day one of ethanol with (knock on wood) no problems at all and we have ethanol here 8 years now, maybe more. I DO NOT own any stock on Startron or Ring free(i am using that too every fill up), just a true believer up to now.

seasick

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
Guys, do your self a favor and add Startron on EVERY fill up you do, i've been doing this since day one of ethanol with (knock on wood) no problems at all and we have ethanol here 8 years now, maybe more. I DO NOT own any stock on Startron or Ring free(i am using that too every fill up), just a true believer up to now.
I do not use Startron or any other stabilizer when filling up and have not had issues either. I do use Ring Free but my point is that if you keep adding fresh fuel, you aren't going to have problems unless you have a water leak or get a bad load of gas and in both cases, the stabilizer isn't going to do squat.
I have yet to see any scientific evidence that there is a benefit to using stabilizers during the active boating season ( things are different for diesel though).
For every person who uses them and swears by them, I can name many other boaters who don't.
Who knows....

DB

Reaction score
If you always run stabilized fuel then you will always have stabilized fuel in the bowls when you put it up for the winter....only buy what you are going to burn....more or less.

seasick

Reaction score
DB said:
If you always run stabilized fuel then you will always have stabilized fuel in the bowls when you put it up for the winter....only buy what you are going to burn....more or less.

Yup, I agree. There is no substitute for fresh gas.