fuel restriction problem

kingklam

Reaction score
Hi guys...i own a 1986 252 sailfish with 1996 twin 200 hp johnson oceanrunners. Last year i encountered a fuel resriction problem on the port motor. This spring i removed the 90 degree elbows which screw into the top of the (aluminum) tanks above the pickups. In these elbows were stainless steel screens and they were all clogged with s**t. my mechanic told me to remove them all as there are two more in line filters. I also changed out all fuel lines and replaced the electric primer pumps with primer balls so as to eliminate all possibilities. I launched the boat and it ran fine on the auxillary tank but when i switched over to the main tank i had absolutely no fuel at all. Now here's my real problem and question. The elbows on the aux tank came out as one piece, but on the main tank they were two pieces, in other words on top of the main tank are two nipples which i tried to remove with an easy out but was unable to because of the fear of ruining the tank. I think that the pickups on the main tank are clogged solid. Is there a way to remove these pickups without damaging the tank or am i looking at a tank replacement?

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Try to pump fuel or low pressure compressed air back into the tank through the fitting to dislodge what might be at the pickup. If in fact you do have crud in the tank, call a fuel polishing company.

gw204

Reaction score
Time to give some serious thought to replacing your tanks. At least pull them for inspection.