FUEL TANKS

ABC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I HAVE A 1985 226 SEA FARER. I WANT TO REPLACE BOTH ALUMINUM TANKS. THE FORWARD TANK HAS BEEN REMOVED AND THE FILL HAS BEEN GLASSED OVER.
HAS ANYONE EVER INTERLINKED TWO TANKS AT THE BOTTOM USING ONE FILLER FOR BOTH TANKS?
I'M ALL EARS. A MISTAKE HERE WOULD CREATE A GREAT BOMB.
THANKS

ABC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I AGREE THAT IS WHY I'M TRYING TO DEVISE A PLAN ON REPLACING THE FORWARD TANK THAT WAS REMOVED MANY YEARS AGO.
SNAKING THE FILL BACK TO THE FRONT TANK LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. MAYBE THE ONLY WAY THOUGH.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I AGREE THAT IS WHY I'M TRYING TO DEVISE A PLAN ON REPLACING THE FORWARD TANK THAT WAS REMOVED MANY YEARS AGO.
SNAKING THE FILL BACK TO THE FRONT TANK LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE. MAYBE THE ONLY WAY THOUGH.
Sometimes they do away with the front tank for the reason of moving weight towards the rear. This can be because of outboard changes and things that might move weight positions. My 87 226 has only a front tank since it has twin outboards.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Linking the tanks near the bottom is a recipe for problems. Each tank must have a vent. Flow between the tanks is gravity dependent, not ideal when the angles are constantly changing. Filling may be only as fast as the interconnect can accommodate filling. Interconnect hose in the bilge is far from ideal. Not recommended!

Reactions: SkunkBoat and ABC

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The fill for the front tank was just forward of the existing fill for the rear tank.....simple matter to drill it out with a hole saw....install a new deck fill like this https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea...MI4PCI2-jF9AIVe_rjBx1GSwgeEAQYAyABEgKRGfD_BwE

Do a search on here on fuel tanks....you will get 100 threads with pics etc.

A fabricator will make you a tank from a sketch....not as difficult as it sounds

seasick

Reaction score
t won't seem that expensive compared to the cost for 2 new tanks.