Furuno 1610 compatibility

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I bought a '99 Voyager this fall with a Furuno 1610 GPS and a fish finder. The boat came from the coast and will now spend its time in Lake Erie. I would like to have the chart plotting capability from the unit, but no one on this earth (that is selling in English anyway) has a chart card for sale that will work. :bang I won't be running an autopilot, radar, or anything sophisticated to require the latest and greatest that the marine electronics world has to offer... so what I'm wondering if anyone knows what Furuno units would be compatible with my current set-up so that I might be able to pick-up a used unit and be able to get a lake chart card.

Thanks

Pete1313

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question....compatible with what? Your transducer and GPS antenna?

I looked up the GP1610 and see it has a built in 300 watt sounder....your transducer is most likely an airmar with a furuno 10-pin connector...which should work with any furuno product....the trick will be finding a 300 watt sounder unit. To find out compatibility you should look at your transducer and figure out the make and model, which will help with compatibility....I'm no furuno expert, but I think the newer 1710 VX2 is the only current unit similar to what you have, and that requires a black box (separate unit) sounder...its not built in and it is 600 watts, so I don't know if it'll work with your transducer.

The GPS antenna is I think the same.....and should work on newer VX2 stuff.

I have a Furuno VX1 plotter/radar and use it now as standalone radar. I upgraded to a Raymarine C90W for sounder and plotter.

What type of charts does your plotter take? Cmap or Navionics? You very well may be able to find them used.....before you buy or sell anything, my recommendation is to first do this:

FIRST - CALL FURUNO CUSTOMER SERVICE. While I went with Raymarine, Furuno has the best customer service in the world. A human always answers the phone, and they will talk to you and give you advice, regardless of whether your product is "registered" or you're the 15th owner...just call them up and tell them what you've got and they'll trouble shoot with you and help you get what you need.

SECOND - Call MEOB - marine electronics of the outer banks....this place is one of the only places in the country that Furuno tells customers to go to for good condition used stuff. This guy buys and sells used furuno stuff, so if you want to upgrade, he may even buy your plotter. http://www.meob.com/ I almost traded in my VX1 for a VX2 plotter, but decided to go with Raymarine (wanted bigger and faster plotting, but didn't want to pay for a NavNet 3d...)

Hope this helps...and good luck!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pete,

Great info.

I don't think I was clear enough (I shouldn't post so late at night!). I have a 1610 Plotter and a separate Furuno fish finder.
I called Furuno and no one makes a card for it. I have scoured the internet for hours and came up with nothing. I can't remember if I called MEOB. I will try them.

I'm wondering if any of the newer units (that I still can get cards for) would work with my antenna, power cord, etc. I would either like to pick up a used unit or scrap everything and go with a new Garmin. For what I'm doing with the boat, the Garmin would do what I need, but I would prefer to stick with the Furuno if I can pick up something used for about the same price.

Pete1313

Reaction score
No problem...now I see what you're saying.

For what its worth, I think you will be much happier with a newer standalone GPS. The Furuno plotter you have is older hardware and software, and will be really slow compared to what you and your buddies are used to.

If you buy the right unit, you won't need a separate antennae. For example, Look at the Raymarine A series and C wide series. They have internal GPS receivers that will work through all bimini and most hard tops. I've done alot of research on this and the reviews are all positive. I have a C90Wide without a raystar GPS antennae. It sits inside my bimini (canvas and stainless steel) which is also below my radar arch w/ radome.

I'm pretty sure Garmin makes a unit or two with internal GPS antenna....but even at that, the Raystar 125 gps antennae is only another $125.....

If it were me (which it was the essentially same choice I made a year ago), I'd keep your furuno sounder if you're happy with it and buy a new plotter. If that new plotter happens to be furuno, great...it is one of the best brands out there. But it is the most expensive. I think you could get a great working, fast and reliable plotter from Raymarine, Garmin, Standard Horizon (personally I don't like Lowrance) etc...that will work great.

Raymarine - A series http- ://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=2&page=790
Raymarine C wide series - http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?s ... &page=1893

I highly recommend Raymarine, but I'm biased 'cause that's what me and my buddies all have....

Finally - I found this place really reliable and the best prices out there... www.getfeetwet.com

Good luck, and remember, have fun...the only thing better than buying new stuff for you boat is spending your buddy's money on his new stuff :)