furuno electronics

lariatjoe

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2001 265 express. the electronics are furuno. fishfinder, gps. and are the same age as the boat. and they need to be replaced, I'm wondering if I should go with furuno again. and if I can just buy new, and just plug them in :hmm . or do I need to replace transducer etc. also I'm going to the ft.laud boat show, any chance on getting a deal on electronics there?

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Transducer shoud be reuseable unless you go to a side scan type. GPS antenna can probably be reused too but new unit will usually have an antenna included or internal.

Furuno is incredible electronics and customer support, but not the most user friendly.
Garmin is very user friendly and probably the least expensive.
Raymarine- I don't have first hand knowledge of their products.
Can you get a deal at a boat show...can't hurt to ask.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You should identify the specific transducer that you have installed before you decide to upgrade your fishfinder.

This guy will help you out if you can find the serial number or just give a physical description:

Gil Travis Enterprises
(209) 848-8533
Email: travis.g@sbcglobal.net

He is very good about answering questions over the phone. You will be hard pressed to beat his prices and service if you stay with Furuno. He also sells Raymarine and SiTex, so you will get fairly unbiased advice.

IMO, you can never go wrong with Furuno.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I would do a lot of homework before deciding.
You will pay a lot for the displays, radar and other options, so I wouldn't get hung up on cable and transducer re-use.

Check out all the leading brands. Talk to as many people as you can. Go and use them all in the same place and lighting conditions. Do you have any experience with a particular brand? How far are you from their service centers if you need it? Determine what you want: multi function display(s) / size, radar, radar overlay (this usually requires a heading sensor and maybe attach unit), radio, weather, thruhull ducer or shoot thru, map card, antenna, gps sensor etc?

Then check out the sizes of the displays and other units. Do they fit in your locations on your boat? Do you have to do something custom to make them all fit?

Once you lock things in, then start pricing the gear. Definately use the net. BOE Marine, Consumers Marine, do a google search and price at least 5 places. Then price locally (store and maybe dealer/installer). Determine your price bands and then decide if you want to get off the net or buy locally. Check installation options, dealer or maybe a local installer or DIY. I found the best all around was to have a reputable local installer do the work to your specs and buy everything off the net. Usually you can get no shipping and no tax on top of a low price. People will say buy locally, but IMHO this kind of commodity purchase comes heavily down to price. The gear is the same at the end of the day. If a new boat - work it after you settle on the boat price. Usually you can get a good deal on installation.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
I currently have Furuno electronics on my boat and I agree they are not the most user friendly. My employer is a Garmin dealer and I get dealer pricing for anything I buy. Shipping is 8 bucks to my door direct from Garmin and their customer service is outstanding. When my electronics go I am going with Garmin. Good prices, excellent quality, great customer support and very easy to operate.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just put in the Furuno MFD12 3D and have been very impressed. I use to run raymarine and lowrance electronics. I installed everything with my amateur knowledge and every time I had a question, which was often, a rep talked me through it over the phone. I have not run in to much trouble figuring the system out. Spent a day on the water pushinging buttons and felt pretty goodafter that to make it do everything I neded it to. Good luck with your project.

Nick

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
What unit do you have and what are your plans for it?

lariatjoe

Reaction score
I am replacing a fcv-582l. the middle of the screen is burned the size of a baseball. I don't think it's worth repairing. the gps will not power up. I cant remember the model. I think the previous owner left the electonics on when he stored it for the season. and burned them up. :doh

Bryan3536

Reaction score
FWIW, we are in the same position with our "new to us" 1990 204. We've gone through all of the electronics and decided to toss everything except a Standard handheld radio that seems to have some life left in it and we can use as a back-up. Anyway, my father went to our local West Marine on Monday, and the sales rep told him he should wait for the January boat shows (we are in NY) before making any decisions on electronics, because he believes there are going to be some advances in the GPS / Chartplotters in the new editions that will be worth waiting for (he also said that some of the manufacturers may be releasing "apps" for iPad that may be worth checking). Our plan for now is to research what is out there but wait until the boat show before we pull the trigger.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
If your existing system was left on in storage, the transducer is likely fried and should be replaced. Not an expert, but based on what I read while staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, they are not supposed to be run in air for any length of time or it can damage the crystals.

I've got three original Furuno NavNet (vintage 2001) displays with radar, gps, sounder, autopilot on mine and really like the multiple screens and how well it's integrated. If money was no object I would upgrade to the 3D version, but that is MAJOR bucks for an entire replacement since the 3D is digital and not compatible with any of my current pieces. I really like the new resolution and mapping from all the manufacturers and will probably just add a standalone display for gps and weather when I can find a few bucks laying around.

I have heard rumors that Furuno is coming out with a new version of NavNet very soon but don't have any details.

lariatjoe

Reaction score
The transducer seems to be working fine, as I can still see the bottom of the fishfinder. I purchased the fcv-585. I'm going to try to use the old transducer, if it does'nt work, I'll replace it. hey, i'ts only money, i'll make more. :wink:

GMac

Reaction score
I also have a 265 Express, year 2ooo, and have been looking at new electronics. However the reason is I'm at an age were my eyesight is begining to fail and I need larger numbers. My current main electronic is a combined GPS plotter and sounder, Furuno Model GP-1650F. When comparing new items I can't find any that will fit into the electronic console directly behind the helm. I would love to stay with Furuno but they seem to have dropped the small boat market to concentrate on the yacht market, from both instrument size and price considerations. My warning is that you need to be very knowledgable where you want to mount the new items and the space available on the boat. The overhead console may accomodate a larger item. Good hunting. If you select something, please post it.

lariatjoe

Reaction score
GMac said:
I also have a 265 Express, year 2ooo, and have been looking at new electronics. However the reason is I'm at an age were my eyesight is begining to fail and I need larger numbers. My current main electronic is a combined GPS plotter and sounder, Furuno Model GP-1650F. When comparing new items I can't find any that will fit into the electronic console directly behind the helm. I would love to stay with Furuno but they seem to have dropped the small boat market to concentrate on the yacht market, from both instrument size and price considerations. My warning is that you need to be very knowledgable where you want to mount the new items and the space available on the boat. The overhead console may accomodate a larger item. Good hunting. If you select something, please post it.

as I posted previously, I did purchase the furuno fcv-585, and I also purchased a garmin 740 gps unit. you are correct about the space in the helm. the garmin unit fits perfectly, however the fcv-585 is too big, and 500.00 more I wish I would have got the fcv-620. :doh maybe one day I'll flush mount them. but the marina I have the boat in has had a rash of electronics thefts recently, so I take them out after each use. check out the fcv-620 it would fit perfect, and is plenty big to read. good luck in your search.

GMac

Reaction score
lariatjoe, Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the FCV620 and it fits well, however I believe it is a sounder only and has no GPS/plotter capabilities. I had previously looked at your Garmin unit, i.e. the 740s. This has all the items I want and fits. Maybe you can help me with my concern with this unit. How much of the screen on the right side is devoted to touch keys? The display height of the 740 and my 1650 are about equal. The display length of the 740 is 1-1/2 in. greater, which is good. However, if the keys portion is about an inch, then the difference is not enough to warrant my changing units.

lariatjoe

Reaction score
GMac said:
lariatjoe, Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the FCV620 and it fits well, however I believe it is a sounder only and has no GPS/plotter capabilities. I had previously looked at your Garmin unit, i.e. the 740s. This has all the items I want and fits. Maybe you can help me with my concern with this unit. How much of the screen on the right side is devoted to touch keys? The display height of the 740 and my 1650 are about equal. The display length of the 740 is 1-1/2 in. greater, which is good. However, if the keys portion is about an inch, then the difference is not enough to warrant my changing units.

I have the garmin 740, not the 740s. the 740 is strictly a gps, the 740s is both sounder and gps. I would search the web for a demo. they are both touch screens. I bought seperate units because I had a combo unit on my last boat, and I like furuno's fish finder better than garmins, and with seperate units you can see everything much better. just my preference. I have only used it once so I'm sorry i can't give you more info on it.