Future Grady Owner Asks For Advice

TheRoBoat

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

New member here. I want to ask the Grady owners a few questions. I have to start by saying - this is an impressive forum. The dedication to the GW brand speaks volumes to the quality of these boats. It was the deciding factor in my desire to purchase a Grady.

My situation: I am looking to buy a 225 Tournament/Freedom - 2007 - 2012. The boat will not be kept near any Grady White dealer or service department. It will be kept at an inland lake. In addition - this will be a cross country purchase. I want to purchase (and keep/use) the boat in New England. I am in California.

My first question (and there may be many) - What are some possible complications of not having access to GW dealer or service? If something goes wrong, it will need to be taken care of by our service department at the lake.

Can warranty work be provided by a non-GW dealer? If not, then doesn't it make much more sense to get an older model than a newer? I am not sure of what the GW warranties are - I thought I had read 10 year on the hull? Not sure about what other coverage periods are for the different components. I am sure there are GW owners without access to dealers/service - how is it handled? Has it been an issue for you? Have you bought a new boat and never had it back to a GW dealer?

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hull warranty is 5 years I believe others can confirm. For warranty service it does need to be done at a GW dealer.

TheRoBoat

Reaction score
Thanks ayacht. I would assume that if there is actually an issue on the hull large enough to require warranty work - I would transport.

How about the engines? Do they need to be serviced by the dealer? I am not familiar with the outboard motor industry. If my marina sells new Mercurys, but not Yamahas, is he deemed to be "Mercury Authorized"? Would I have to look for a dealer in the area that is Yamaha Authorized?

I guess I am looking at the purchase as sort of a risk assessment. It appears that any small or "ticky-tacky" repair work while the boat is under "general warranty" - I would have to eat that. If I don't have access to a Yamaha tech for the engines, I have to eat that. If it is catastrophic with hull - I can transport.

I am willing to take that risk to have a GW. But as far as limiting exposure, it seems to make sense for me to go with a used boat. In addition to first owner taking the hit on depreciation, any of the repairs I am describing would have hopefully been worked out during the first few years of ownership. While I would like nothing more than to purchase a GW new (as would the Admiral - she loves shiny things - she would prefer a new 225) - I don't think I can justify that to myself without access to full warranty service.

If any other owners have input - I would greatly appreciate it. If not - I am sure I will be back with more questions prior to purchase!

CWOT

Reaction score
I would not worry about warranty service, if it is bad enough the factory will get involved.
Otherwise you can always find a really good shop that can take care of your problems, just ask other boaters.

My grady dealer is not high on doing warranty work. Super slow and he looks for other "causes " that he can charge for.
Three obvious problems the first week after purchase required an act of congress to get them fixed.
One issue was with the hydraulic steering, another a major oil leak, I think they never drove the boat after preping for delivery.
I wouldn't base my next purchase on the hope that if I have a warranty or service issue my selling dealer will be the go to guy.

My BMW dealer goes the extra mile and his service is so good I wouldn't buy anywhere else.
A simple business model. Give the buyer service to die for.
I can't say the same for my Grady dealer.
Next boat purchase I will take the best deal I can get and take my chances on service.

TheRoBoat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info CWOT - that really helps. We do have a boat yard and service department we have used for eons - they are excellent. I would actually prefer to use him for everything. I also should save me some money as I feel this points to a used purchase for me to take as much risk/loss of benefits of the table. As much as I would like to go new, and I would really like to go new, it just doesn't pencil.

Will be back for more advice form the forum when I locate a candidate!

And funny you should mention - I feel same about my Audi guy.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You will love the 225, I know we love ours. You might take a look at the new 225s on the dealer lots, should be able to get a good deal. Happy hunting!
Oh and I feel the same about my Porsche dealer - excellent service!