Garmin GFS on twins

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased a used/never installed Garmin GFS fuel management system and intend to hook it up to my garmin 4000 series GPS. I have twin 150 HPDI motors. I was thinking of just installing the one sending unit for now in order to identify fuel consumption rates. Can I just double the flow (mentally) if I run two motors at identical RPM? I am just looking to run the motors more efficiently.

Blackbird

Reaction score
You'll probably be close but unless the engines are absolutely identical which is rare, they will probably burn fuel at slightly different rates, maybe as much as a 10% difference. I had a pair of the Yamaha 150's and according to the Yamaha instrumentation, they were never exactly the same, even though I had them serviced at the same time. They both put out full power but one always burned a little more. I now have a pair of 250 4-strokes and same thing. One consistantly shows a higher burn rate. Not a lot but enough so if I simply doubled one's rate, I would be off overall. Hope this helps.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am mainly looking for the optimum running RPM, which I would imagine is similar for both motors and a rough consumption total. I understand the data will not be precise. I will eventually connect a second meter. Right now I am estimating by the fuel gauge, probably not even close to actual.