Garmin GPSMap 235 Battery

D Ellefson

Reaction score
I have a Garmin GPSMap 235 with a dead internal battery. I have searched online for instructions on how to replace it and found little information on how its done. One poster on a fix it forum mentioned getting to the battery but found it was not marked with any model/voltage information. An answer to his question stated that this is considered to be a factory fix only. This thing is 9 years old and I'm not sure its worth the effort, time, or money to send it to Garmin. Has anyone cracked their Garmin open and successfully replaced the battey? By the way, the owners manual makes no mention of the internal battery.

Thanks

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi,
I do not know anything about the garmin unit. I will share a similar situation with an older Raymarine RC 425 chartplotter. It too has an internal battery. Raymarine wanted $150 to replace. I openned it up, found out what kind of battery. It is a Renata CR2032 3v with solder tabs. I was able to buy a replacement (had to get a min qty, so I have a few extra) I actually soldered it in today. Works fine. Saved a lot of money.

Go on line and search for the battery. I got mine from Future Electronics

If it is the same, let me know and I will be happy to send you one.

best of luck,

OceanBean
93 Explorer 245 VP DP

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
150 bucks to replace a 3 dollar battery?

Garmin should do it free of charge for as long as you own it. You pay shipping costs.

Post the procedure so anyone can do it, and Garmin never sees a dime from their $150 priced service business.

I realize Garmin probably warranties the unit is re-sealed properly, but what's the big deal?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Battery

I would go to the store and match the battery up physically (diameter and thickness). Your going to find a match.

Garmin didn't have a special battery built. Its got to be a CR2032, CR2016 or some other popular battery.

pilotart

Reaction score
Also match voltage and polarity.

If you are concerned about soldering a 'button' cell; use silver epoxy, available at electronics shop.

D Ellefson

Reaction score
Wow, go away for a few days and look what you get. Lots of great information - thanks! So heres the update. I took the big dive and broke open the Garmin 235. Easy to do, 12 screws and the back is open. You have to be careful since the back is still teathered to the cover by the connectors. Sure enough, the battery has soldered on legs that need to be disconnected from the PC board to replace. I have a couple of blurry pictures if anyone is interested.

So have I replaced the battery yet? No, because there's more to the story. I've gotten quite the lesson in history regarding Garmin and their supplier for the SD chart cards 10 years ago. The short story is that Garmin no longer supports this unit or the SD card charts. That leaves me with a working GPS / Sounder that does not have a SD chart of my area i.e. unit gives me my location but without the map overlay. I could buy a card off ebay but the information is at least 10 years old. I decided not to pursue fixing the Garmin 235 any longer. I may turn it in to a portable side scan sonar to see what's under the dock when we're out back fishing.

I read Gradyfish22's comments in thread titled "electronics update" (excellent information by the way) and was trying to decide if I wanted to invest the money in an entire system or get an all in one unit. The larger displays are awesome but I'm not ready to do a major overhaul of the helm station and I'm not ready to spend that much money. In the end, I decided on a Garmin 545s for a couple of reasons. Obviously, cost was one factor, ease of installation another and the fact that it will work with my current through hull transducer sealed the deal. I have already ordered the unit and the appropriate G2 vision card for my area (South Florida) and even sprung for the XM antenna so I can sign up for the weather service. Now I just need to practice patience while I wait on UPS.

I appreciate all the responses to my initial query and want to thank to all who offered help or guidance.