Garmin SteadyCast

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I spoke via email with Garmin.. now, you have to weed through a lot of bunk.. but here is what I figured out:

Will the Steadcast work with AutoPilot?: Yes. They will not answer the question as every kit comes with a heading sensor. They do not sell individual parts, they sell the kits.

Now, can you GET individual parts? Yes, but they will not say that, period... all they do is a broken record of "the kit comes with it.. we sell the kit.... heh

The chartplotter will either USE the AP with it's built in heading sensor, or allow you to select one... that is where it can be used (the Steadycast).

Why would you do that? no idea since clearly the kit has one built in ;)

So.. I have a Steadycast right now, because I wanted the thing and it was not a high cost. Going to, after I get AP... see if it ever gets used again....but, if it does not.. eh.. maybe have it as an emergency backup.. or will remove it and pass it on to someone that needs it. but... is a shame that there is not a huge option for using it if you upgrade to AP..

R

panabal

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Are you ready to sell the SteadyCast? I'm in the market for a used one. Thanks!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have not installed it yet heh. I have to pay off the new top I just ordered, then save up for the auto pilot... THEN.. I can sell the steadycast... heh... sorry. Will, hopefully, be about a year or so.

Russ