Gas Cap Safety Chain Replacement

Bill_N

Reaction score
The gas cap safety chain on the main tank on my 265 is broken. Almost fell in the water when I took it off and it looks like it was jury rigged with some stranded wire that broke. A new cap and chain is $32 from GW but the chain is not available as a separate item. I'm not throwing $32 into a new gas cap assy with the same chain that's already broken once. Has anyone retro fitted their gas cap with a new chain or cable? If so, what did you use and how is it working out? I'm thinking of using some coated wire with a loop crimped at both ends.

Thanks, Bill

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You think like me!

Go to bait and tackle store (when they are not busy) and get a medium or heavy gauge strained steel leader, used for shark, blue fish,
then get some good wire crimps for the end, or ask tackle guy if he can crimp a loop on both ends of the wire for you, with a loop small enough not to slip of the screw, or use a washer under screw. I'd say no longer than 6 inch total length. $7 ought to cover it, plus or minus.

Make sure you go in when they are not busy, or about to close.

The replacement caps and O rings are available at local marine supply stores, your marine gas station, at much better prices, perhaps the wire keeper too although I have not seen it, did buy caps and packaged Perko O rings.

peddler

Reaction score
I read your note on the gas cap teather. I lost my gas cap. I have a 185 Challenger 1980. Do you know where I can get a Grady White gas cap for it?

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
One idea is to just not use any sort of chain- as is my preference. I worked for a few summers when I was younger at a fuel dock and you would be amazed at just how often those chains and replacements fail. I'm much more comfortable without a chain and putting the fuel cap inside the cockpit while fueling up.

Just a low tech option you might want to consider!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Make sure to add a swivel to allow you to thread the cap on and not break the single stranded wire from twisting and your set. A lot of times, the swivel mount on the caps break or do not work or get stuck, so an added swivel might be a good idea. I'd use wire around 100lbs, anything lighter might break quickly. there is also sevylon leader from sevenstrand that is braided wire coated in nylon, that might be a good wire to use, it is softer and will allow for some twist.

seasick

Reaction score
I has a similar issue with the fresh water spray cover. Although it was attached with a rubber tab, the tab broke off. I was not able to find stainless chain in a small size so I used a plastic coated steel 6 inch leader for blues. It had preformed loops on both ends. One end screwed into the gunnel and the other I attached with a stainless pop rivet to a small hole I drilled in the cap. Its been going strong for three years so far.
I would have bought a new rubber cap if I could have but the Grady dealer didn't have it on hand and told me to look at perko. None were a match and i didn't want to have to change the entire washdown hardware.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I bought some coated 40lb test black stranded wire crimped a loop in both ends and put them on this weekend. No swivels but it seems soft and looks fine. I'll keep an eye on them this year but for what they want to replace the cap etc I'll deal with the wire.