Gas in Morehead City, NC area for Trailer Boats

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Folks, I posted this over in THT so sorry if you see as redundant, but thinking some of the Grady team from this area might be over here.

For those of you that boat in the Morehead City, NC area and trailer your boat, what is your experience in the ability to fill up?

Seems for a while, I was able to get Marathon station to approve fillup via cash at pump and then go inside and pay with Debit card. Last time, they blew up on me about it and said that was ludicrus that anyone working there would do that.

Drove down to Kangaroo, and at least their pump goes to $125.00 before having to slide the card again. Most stations kick off at $75.00 so have to swipe card like 6 times to fill up sometimes.

There has to be a better way?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
??? Maybe that is LED lights for my gasoline?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is this the norm nowdays for trailer boaters? We have to carry several credit cards to fill up? Sometimes one of the cards will limit at 2 times, others seem to not care, so that might be the credit card company I guess.

Was hoping someone in my area knows a trick or two.

shadow379

Reaction score
I can fill up cheaper at a marina, with ethanol free fuel $4.05 a gallon is the best I have seen on the water, dont be fooled by marinas using E-10, plus get the tax back at the end of the year. The ethanol free pump at a local gas station sells it for $4.39 currrently. If you have a 4stroke engine and compatable fuel lines for E-10 you can get away with regular fuel from a standard gas station. $3.49 currently. E-10 fuel however reduces the lubrication properties of 2-cycle engines so make sure you don't cheap out and end up paying thousands in the long run. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good points Shadow.....
I have been running the Amsoil Full Synthetic 2 stroke oil to ensure best possible lubrication and also using the Startron with Ringfree Plus to ensure some level of control for the ethanol affects. For sure, plan on replacing all fuel lines this winter so that I will have ethanol safe fuel lines and not have to worry on the inside deterioration issues some have had.

Seems the fuel prices are near same from your area as mine, except I haven't had the chance to check the marina's yet but might get that opportunity this weekend. The regular non-ethanol fuel in my area last time I was down was $3.80 which I thought was high, but in comparision with what you find is a bargain!

Still not sure it is worth me getting the regular non-ethanol fuel at the higher price if it does not gain in MPG benefit. With the additives, I don't think I will have any fuel issues. So far, so good. Also, not finding any particulates in the bottom of the fuel filter bowls, so that is a good sign as well. :)

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I saw a 10% increase in economy and a 300 rpm increase at WOT after my marina switched back to non ethanol fuel. That was with a previous boat (Key West 186) with a Yamaha F150.

Most convenience stores will hold your credit card and leave the pump on for as long as it takes to fill your tank. That's a lot easier than swiping your card a few times.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Doc !
When I go to get fuel next time, will walk in and ask what my options are and maybe they can offer up something for me. That would be much better if they are willing. I think for a charge card at the pump, it is pre-programmed to stop at a certain limit, but if we go inside and give credit card, then will use pump like cash and at end charge. I think that is what the one station I was at was doing, but as I mentioned, they now deny ability to do that.

Your the first one to post positive results on the non-ethanol fuel. I am going to definately go to the non-ethanol station and get fuel on next fill and see for myself what changes. Would love to turn that 1.7 and 1.8 to 2.0 mpg if possible. I would smile for sure.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are two places that I buy non-alcohol fuel at service stations, one near my summer home in Mississippi and one near my office in Louisiana. Both will "override" the shutoff function of the pump if I go into the store and leave my credit card.

My marina that also only has non-alcohol fuel is used to pumping thousands of $$$ into some boats so they don't even flinch at my $600 fill up.

I am paying $3.87/gal. with my Boat US discount at the marina and about $3.50/gal. at the local stations for non-alcohol fuel.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Oh yeah! Forgot to check on the discount for Boat US!

By the way, is it customary to tip the gas dock attendant for filling up the boat? Assume they do this or do they let you do it yourself? Not sure how that works as never been there and done that yet. :?:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Finally made it to the fuel dock at the Marina where I got my boat and is right next to the ramp. Worked out well. Regular fuel was $4.03 and just dropped to $3.64 per gallon! I checked the Exxon on land before I went launched and that station just changed from Exxon to BVG (Best Value) and still shows selling regular fuel, but was $3.70 per gallon. First time I have found fuel cheaper at the marina than on a land based station in past experience so very happy I have found a source.
This makes it more convenient to fill up before I put back on trailer and don't have the problem of trying to find a gas station I can fit in and then swipe the card multiple times.

Hoping to burn off the Ethanol fuel soon on the main tank and have more peace of mind over the winter not worrying about phase seperation and other issues.

Thanks for all your feedback and comments!