Gas Springs for Livewells & Elec. Boxes on 228G Seafarer

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just purchased this 1991 beauty in May 2009. The transom livewell and both electronic storage boxes are equipped with "collapsable spring" door/hatch supports, but the two livewell hatches under the captain chairs did not come equipped with any type of supports to keep them open on their own. Can anyone provide me with the proper specs (E, C, S & P measurements) for my purchase and installation of Gas Spring Lifts for my three (3) livewells and two (2) electronic storage boxes (hard top and dash board)?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
WM carries them. check out their site and see what sizing info they have. ron

catch22

Reaction score
Re: Gas Springs for Livewells & Elec. Boxes on 228G Seaf

Scott W. said:
Just purchased this 1991 beauty in May 2009. The transom livewell and both electronic storage boxes are equipped with "collapsable spring" door/hatch supports, but the two livewell hatches under the captain chairs did not come equipped with any type of supports to keep them open on their own. Can anyone provide me with the proper specs (E, C, S & P measurements) for my purchase and installation of Gas Spring Lifts for my three (3) livewells and two (2) electronic storage boxes (hard top and dash board)?

If you go with a gas strut type of lift, you'll always have to use the latch to keep the lid down. With the support springs, you don't.

I used these support springs for the lids on both fish box's, (copy and paste the entire link) -

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... /0/0?N=377 710 1042&Ne=0&Ntt=Hatches &Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=24&classNum=487

The larger model, 5/8 x 12", (wm mod # 4593265).

Just make sure the spring doesn't rub on the edge of the opening. You don't want to get any kinks in the spring. Once that happens, it will no longer support the lid. If necessary, make a spacer, (stand-off) out of polyethelyne, (starboard) for the bottom of the spring, (inside the fish box). The lids not very thick and I got away with using short ss screws on the under side of the lid, without drilling through.. but you might just want to bolt thru with machine screws, and dress washers on top of the lid, (like the livewell). The fish box's are insullated, so the side walls have a desent amount of space to permit a longer screw. Make sure you use sealent on all screw holes.

The shorter model works well as a replacement for the helm electronics box lid.

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Based on your great advice, I will install the WM spings on my live well lids. Thanks for the posts.

catch22

Reaction score
Scott W. said:
Based on your great advice, I will install the WM spings on my live well lids. Thanks for the posts.

Your welcome.

Like I said, one of the draw backs with the support spring is, you have to be carefull not to accidentally jam the spring while closing the lid or hitting the spring while putting in and taking out items. Again... a bend or a kink and it's pretty much shot. Very difficult, if not impossible to get a kink out.

The newer Grady's do use a gas strut, along with a rubber pull handle that grabs onto a catch. It's a more secure set up, (no lid rattle) but you have to fiddle with the latch every time you open and close it. That's one reason I prefer the support spring... quick and easy access, not to mention less hardware and expense.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
springs

another thing I like about the heavier spring setup is that it incourages the person to use two hands. I used to have people just drop the lids, sometimes with a loud bang...and a possible chip or crack.......

catch22

Reaction score
Re: springs

tom cunningham said:
another thing I like about the heavier spring setup is that it incourages the person to use two hands. I used to have people just drop the lids, sometimes with a loud bang...and a possible chip or crack.......

Oh man... you ain't kidding. Countless times people would slam lids. :x Especially on my old 91 Gulfstream. It had 3 lids on the transom. 2 lids covering a long single box and 1 lid covering a smaller box. I couldn't really use the spring set-up on those, so I ended up installing some small, round rubber feet, (found them at a local hardware store) around the seam, under each lid. It prevented rattling from vibration too.