Gas tank hatch

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I'm replacing tank with new, am wondering why I should'nt just grind off all gelcoat and glass hatch cover in. All hoses, sending unit, clamps etc. are new. Will still have access thru inspection port to clamps and sending unit. All wood has been replaced with new triple epoxy coated, drilled and filled all holes. Rather than caulk hatch back in and still be subject to leakage am considering permanently glassing hatch down. This tank should be impervious to corrosion since no water can be trapped against it. Anybody? Jimmy you still on vacation. Forgot to mention that the hatch cover was recored as well.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Probably better off leaving it as hatches. You will probably need structural bracing or it'll flex and crack the glass.

TomEnMS

Reaction score
I like my hatches. Everything is new now, but do you want to cut holes in a few years to check things out. I pop my hatches regularly just to look.

TE

jehines3

Reaction score
You might be better served modifying the deck lip that the hatch sits on with a drain system. I have not really figured out a way to make this happen yet. But some of my hatches have an overboard drain built into the lip which I like. This would have been a great thing for Grady to do since it would keep the below decks water accumulation down. This sounds particularly good for the guys that own generators.

I would not glass it in.