gas tank

Captfls49

Reaction score
Model
Trophy Pro
Good morning
Just got 1983 25 trophy previous owner states a lot of sludge in tank be careful
Should I replace tank with plastic one
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If the tank has failed (or close to it), then replacing makes sense... either aluminum, SS or plastic. Aluminum or SS will likely be easiest. Plastic doesn't eliminate sludge. Check the tank's health, clean the tank, replace fuel line, keep an extra filter on board, go boating.

Forgot to add... There are companies that provide this service. I have no idea where you are located, but Google or talking to local, larger marinas can provide information.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the Al option the best.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had my main tank fail on my 24 offshore and after doing a lot of research I came to the conclusion that the best way to go was to have an aluminum tank fabricated to the exact specs of the original.....it cost a few more $$....($1,000.00) but it was worth it for my peace of mind. You will find it difficult to find a polyethelene tank with enough capacity that will fit properly.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 13

seasick

Reaction score
I agree, aluminum made to spec. If the tank were newer, i might have it professionally cleaned but with a 35 year age, cleaning it could cause more harm than good.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

JeffN

Reaction score
I replaced the tank in my 83 a few years ago. It failed in the area on the top of the tank under the forward inspection port. Got a new one from the original Grady supplier. Found out after I could have sourced a new tank closer to home. Same money but quicker. You maybe able to pull your fuel level sensor to get a look in the tank but you may strip the screws in the process. On my tank the screws were just threaded into the single layer of metal of the tank the new one was reinforced in that area. I am curious about the sludge? I was surprised when I cut the old tank up later the inside was like new and no corrosion on the bottom of the tank in or out. Just the top.

If you do replace go with an aluminum duplicate of what you have presently would be my suggestion.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My tank in the 226 Seafarer only had deep corrosion where it touched the rubber shock pads, so not only did I coat the replacement aluminum tank with two coats of epoxy primer, I used 5200 and attached 3/16" thick fiberglass pads to the bottom of the tank where it touched the bearing points in the bilge. The 5200 and epoxy primer will keep out the moisture between the bearing points and the tank. I also used expanded PVC as cushions (instead of rubber) between the fiberglass pads and the bearing points in the bilge. I used the expanded PVC where ever something touches or is used to hold the tank, using 5200 between it and the tank each time. This should keep out the moisture, and also eliminates the rubber originally used. Rubber contains carbon that promotes the corrosion when in contact with the aluminum. I also had my tank made with 3/16" aluminum which is thicker than the one removed. The tank cost me 960.00 including premium sending unit, had it built locally.

20171124_165456.jpgTank.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Good morning
Just got 1983 25 trophy previous owner states a lot of sludge in tank be careful
Should I replace tank with plastic one
Thanks

If thats an original aluminum tank...REPLACE IT!

If you go with plastic make sure the fill, vent, pickup(s), and sender are in the same position as the original and facing the same direction.
If you have twins, make sure you have two pickups.
I have seen on other forums where guys try to use the wrong tank and reroute hoses, and have the pickup on the wrong end. And try to use one pickup for twin motors....
Nothing wrong with plastic if it fits. You won't have to worry about corrosion.