Gas vent hose replacement

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am in the process of replaceing fuel vent hoses on my 1996 Voyager. I had to pull the access hatches in order to file the holes larger because the new vent hose is a fraction larger than orig. ones. I'm haveing a little trouble with aux. tank hose. Any suggestions would be welcome.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller :huh
Guess no one has done this or they haven't had any trouble with doing this project. :D
Thanks anyway.

Maritime Matt

Reaction score
I just replaced all the fuel lines from the tank to the motor on a 89 204. Single 80 gal. tank, 2 hatches. Had to cut an access hole behind the Port stern seat back to access the hose clamps on the Fill hose. Forget about getting to the clamps on the last 1 ft of vent hose, luckily it was in great shape. Did not have to enlarge any holes, but did put chafe protection any where a hose could rub.
Capt.Matt

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Matt
Since my last post I have started cutting an access hole in front of the helm chair and hope I will be able to access the location I need.
I've got to get a 6in deck plate before I cut my hole to size. I have tried everything to get that hose to make the turn.
Hope to get back to that project tomorrow.

cgmiller

Reaction score
I had some fun with fuel hoses this summer. I replaced all of the fuel feed hose on my 1990 Gulfstream, about 80 feet. I also replaced the vent hose and fill hose to the main tank..way mucho fun..I was able to cut the vent hose to a point and pull it through the stringers with a string..the fuel fill hose was a different story. I had to cut an access hole on the inside of the gunnel to get to the underside of the fill pipes so I could get out the screws and loosen the clamps..I also had to cut an access hole in the deck to force the new fill hose through the stringers. I put pie plates in to the access holes..it was a nightmare..I still have to replace the vent line and fill hose to the auxillary tank, but after pulling cleaning and epoxy coating the main tank, I was done for a while...

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
cg it sounds as if you too had tons of fun with replaceing the hose also.
I pulled the deck access panels and pulled my main tank vent hose without much trouble but the aux. tank is another thing all together.
I filed the hole a little larger to get the hose through but could not get it to make the 90 degree turn before returning to the filler section.This little project has turned out to be a pain.

cgmiller

Reaction score
It was a real treat, especially during a summer heat wave in July...just about keeled over from the heat.....I wanted to be doing the work in April...but my transom replacement project took 4 months instead of 2 weeks like it was supposed to...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Voyager, if you are talking a stringer, you can rebore a new hole at an angle with a hole saw. When Grady builds the boats, they install all before deck is layed. I'm surprised so tight since they usually oversize as it always makes it easier. Why is your hose heavier?
I believe gas tank vent is 5/8 inch fuel line spec, what's yours?

Your aux tank is further back I expect, in any case don't loose the hose (old) as you route it, some get a PCV fitting and do a but joint and rivit/screw the hose so it so new to old continuous no surface transition.

Usually the fill lines are the pain due to diameter.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. BobP
Wow I finished running the vent hose today! Man am I glad this is done.
The vent hose I replaced was 5/8" but the outside dia. was larger than the hose I replaced .
Bob the stringer next to the aux. tank was not the problem because I could file it out a little and push the hose through but there is another stringer which you can't get to and i beleive it would be next to impossible to pull a vent hose back through even if it were the same size as the old one. I cut a 6 in access hole and rerouted the hose a little .
Another thing was the springs on the hose where you make the loop were super hard to put on the new hose because of the larger outside diameter.
One last but not least problem is grady placed the vent behind the large filler hose. If they haven't changed that someone needs to let them know you can offset those a couple inches and it will only help when doing the project I just done.
Grady makes a great boat and they need to keep in mind these things have to be done at later dates. The Gradys outlast the fittings.
I didn't cuss on this project I thought about it but held back. :( I don't know how I held back but I did.