GelCoat Chip Damage to the Starboard Strake - Pictures Incl.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Hi Guys. When I purchased my boat the strake on the starboard side of the boat had a small nick about the size of a dime on the strake. Now, after about a year of usage the nice has grown in size and also it has seemed to spread. I may have caught it on a roller when landing my boat the last time at the lake.

What do you guys think about this damage? Do you think I shouldn't use the boat in the water until I get it repaired? Do you think it could be a do-it yourself with a Grady Gel-Coat repair kit? If you think it should be professionally repaired, how much do you think it would cost for the repairs? Or, do you think something like this could be covered under warranty? I think I still have a few months left in the Grady factory warranty.

Any insight and ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. :)

photo2hhh.jpg

photosfr.jpg

photo3zyz.jpg

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That looks like void in the gelcoat and should be fixed ASAP. Marine tex is known to be good for that fix, but you boat is still under warranty, so call your dealer and make an apointment.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
bdub: I have put similar dings in about the same spot a couple of times over the years. I think it is all the pre-dawn running I do.

Your chips go through the gelcoat and expose the fiberglass so they should be addressed. Over a long time the fiberglass can absorb some water and make a simple fix more expensive. Sounds like you trailer the boat so maybe not so urgent for you.

Because the chips cut into a corner of the strake, as opposed to a flat surface, you'll have to be pretty talented to get an unnoticeable fix.

What you can do is pick up a gel coat patch kit. Grady dealers can match the color. Get a decent fix in as best you can. At least cover the fiberglass. Then let your dealer do it right whenever you have the opportunity and are willing to spend $100 - $200 (I'm guessing here).

Also, you may want to look at your trailer. The way these dings line up suggest that may be the culprit.

Rob

richie rich

Reaction score
look at the trailer pics....doesn't look like any interference with the bunk rollers....actually looks good.......was there a hit that you noticed or just a visual one day?

Since the glass and the gelcoat are basically made of the same thing, ie PE resin, you're not going to get some type of instant water absorption...but it will over time.......the gel coat patch kit should do a good job as long as its prepped right with cleaner and a grinding tool....remember, it can be sanded out with finer and finer grit to give you a factory finish.....thats all the boat yard will do...just have patience.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Thank you.

I really appreciate the help and comments. I am going to call my Grady dealer on Monday to schedule an appointment. I didn't take the boat out this weekend like I had planned because I didn't want to make it worse.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just in case your dealer doesn't get you in quickly, I don't think a couple of days of use will have any potential to make the problem worse from a water-absorbing perspective.

I think it would take the boat sitting in the water for months to make a difference.

Rob

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your not going to damage the hull right away, but you do need to get it repaired in a timely fashion. Right now you have little to no damage to the hull itself, just cosemtic gel coat work that needs touching up, but if you let it go and use it a lot water will get under the gel coat and cause it to bubble over time and more pieces can potentially bubble near the area and then burst and spider crack or peel off, causing more exposed fiberglass. Fiberglass is water proff to a point, but over time with exposure to water and chemicals that might be in the water, it can break down and absorb water making the hull heavier, as well as softer and not as strong. A few trips, will not cause this but I urge you to have it fixed within a timely fashion so you can enjoy the boat for years to come.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Well I just picked up my boat from Jacobsen's today in West Seattle. They did a fabulous job! I can't tell where the damage was and I am happy I had it repaired professionally. It cost me just over $400 which I think was steep but ended up being worth it.

Thank you all for your advice. This forum is awesome!