gen set question

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 268 Islander. (this is the fourth boat I have put $ on only to have the deal fall apart so I'm hoping this time is the charm!) It has microwave and an airconditioning unit. I would like to have a small genset aboard to run these (one at a time) . Any suggestions? has anyone installed this kind of equipment? If so, can it be plumbed to the existing fuel tank?. I think most of the small gensets I have seen depend on a gravity flow for fuel delivery.
thx
yb

seabob4

Reaction score
3KW Westerbeke ought to serve you well. Yeah, you can go with a Fischer-Panda or Mase diesel, but then you need a separate tank.

As far as gravity fed fuel flow, most gensets are mounted below the existing fuel tank feeds, so that's no problem. They also have pretty decent fuel pumps, unlike O/Bs...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I assume you are referring to a portable generator as there is certainly no place to properly install a built-in generator on an Islander.

We have the factory microwave, and a 6,500-BTU reverse-cycle Mermaid Marine Air unit that I installed. We use a Honda EU2000, set up on the transom with the tuna door open, to power up the boat. We can run the A/C all day long, and the microwave when needed.

If you are concerned about fuel, get the Duration Tank for the Honda. It is a separate six-gallon tank, so you have a total of seven gallons for the generator. Will last a LONG time.

Scroll down to the Single Feed Duration Tank here: http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html

Brian

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian,
Sounds like you have the arrangement I was thinking about. How do you run the cord?
dw

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yellow Boy said:
Brian,
Sounds like you have the arrangement I was thinking about. How do you run the cord?
dw

I run a heavy duty extension cord from the output of the generator - regular 120VAC plug - to a one-piece Marinco adapter that I connect to the shore power inlet on the boat. That allows me to use the AC power panel to select which loads get powered up, e.g. air-conditioning, charger, microwave, etc. Usually have the hot water heater breaker OFF, and the Honda can handle the rest.

I use a short extension cord when running the Honda in the usual aft location, but have used a longer one when it is up forward.

The Marinco adapter is the 83A. http://www.marinco.com/product/one-piece-adapter-30-amp-locking-15-amp-straight-blade

I added a CO detector in the cabin.

Brian